Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

I have an 06 PP 35SL, quad slide, it has one battery, a group 24, I am having an electric awning put on and probably a set of elecrtic steps, so I think one battery is kinda pushing it, I would like to add another battey, do I need to get another the same group size ?, or can it be bigger ?, I understand to wire them it's positive to positive, negative to negative, and the camper connections go off the original battery that was in there, I don't want to change over to 6 volts, I have never dry camped and have absolutley no intention of doing so, I much prefer all the "goodies" when we camp, just gettin old...LOL...but I think I may find myself in trouble with just one battery....any thoughts ?....thanks

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Mike, if you want to stay 12v I would look at moving up to a group 27. If we had gone with two 12v batteries that is what I had intended to do. We never dry camp either but I went with two 6v batteries. You are going to love the electric awning.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:04 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Hi Keith, if I keep the group 24 can I use a group 27 as the 2nd battery ??, I have plenty of room...I just wasn't sure if both had to be the same size..........thanks

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I am by no means a battery expert but I would stick with two of the same size.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:47 PM   #5
Site Team

Mike:
I agree with Keith on staying with the same size batteries.
If you are plugged into AC all the time, I question whether or not you even need a second battery. One other thought if you do decide to install the second one, they always tell you to
use the same size, and replace them both at the same time---- so one isn't newer then the other.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:48 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
I agree with Old Farmer, I used to be a mechanic several years ago, and any vehicle with 2 batteries they got replaced at the same time, of the same type and same size. The other thing to do would be to make sure that you are plugged in and only open/close one slide at a time. Your big draw is when opening/closing the slides and putting out the awning. I think that when you need a battery replace it with the next larger and you should be fine since you do not dry camp. Just my.

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 03:23 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Iagree with the people here always when using 2 batteries pair them alike because the weaker battery will draw down the stronger one to it's value.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:55 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

If you dry camp, 2 6-volt deep cycle batteries is the way to go. If you have shore power you only need a single 12-volt deep cycle. I happen to have a 2nd 12-volt deep cycle that was an extra and I travel with it but I swap it in and out rather than use it hooked in parallel. I have used it separately with an inverter to power the microwave at a rest stop or to jump start a vehicle or whatever. I also charge it with a float charger when I'm around shore power.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I have always questioned the 1-12V or 2-6V idea as to which is better and why? I called my AC Delco batteryrep today and he says its all a myth about the 2-6V's being better.

If you hook them in Series(pos-pos, neg-neg) the only thing that doubles is the voltage...to 12Volts, but the Amp's stay the same.

If you hook them Parrallel(pos-neg, pos-neg) them the Amp's double, but the volts stay @ 6 volts. Which is not what you want either...

He said, "if you have the room for 2 batteries, why not go 2-12volts anyways?!" Which makes sense. I think...

Any one else have any ideas on this??

Again, I'm no expert. But he should have some knowledge.

He also said, that if you have 2 batteries on board. Make sure to put the batterycharger oneach one separate when you get home, because they have tendencies to not charge the second one that isn't hooked directly to the charger.

Right or wrong...maybe just peace of mind!!Edited by: malbowski

Firestone Airbag kit

09 26RK Sunset Trail

11 SkiDoo BackCountry X

malbowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Malbowski

You need to get a new battery rep.

You have the series and parallel hook ups backwards.

Each battery regardless of voltage contains a given number of amp hours. @2 12 volt batteries rated at 110 amps each will give you 220 amp hours.2 6 volt batteries rated at 110 amps eachwill also give you 220 amp hours regardless if you have them wired in series (12 volts) or in parallel ( 6 volts ). So the amp hours would be the same. If you are comparing 1 12 volt battery to 2 6 volt batteries it's not even close.

The advantage of the 6 volt batteries is that the plates are much thicker as there are only 3 cells per battery in a casing about the same size as the 12 volt battery which has 6 cells. That allows the batteriesmany more deep cycles and they last a lot longer.

Thats why they use 6 volt batteriesin equipment like golf carts that go thru a lot ofdischarging and recharging.

Often when your talking to a battery rep he is just a salesman and I have found a lot of them don't really know their product very well or they are trying to sell you what they have on hand to offer.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:04 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgeman

Malbowski The advantage of the 6 volt batteries is that the plates are much thicker as there are only 3 cells per battery in a casing about the same size as the 12 volt battery which has 6 cells. That allows the batteriesmany more deep cycles and they last a lot longer.

Thats why they use 6 volt batteriesin equipment like golf carts that go thru a lot ofdischarging and recharging.
Exactly the reason 2X 6 volt batteries are the choice in many 12v applications, although will add bunches of weight. For great info call the tech support at Trojan Battery Co. They make both 6v and 12v deep cycle batteries and will give you unbiased info. I have also found the 6v batteries will last longer.
pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:24 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
Here is a website with some good battery information.

http://www.phrannie.org/battery.html

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:02 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

Series/Parrallel, backwards...my bad!

All valid points. I guess I must agree on the AC Delco rep, not being the best @ having his info right. Hopefully this helps more than just me in figuring out which is the best system to go!!

Again, great info by all. Makes thisforum all the more interesting to check out!

thx, Tim

Firestone Airbag kit

09 26RK Sunset Trail

11 SkiDoo BackCountry X

malbowski is offline   Reply With Quote