Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2011, 02:57 AM   #1
New Camper

OK, so we are taking delivery of a new ST29QB on saturday, and I have some noob questions. We're coming from a pop-up which had very little in the way of amenities. My main concern is what things work with batteries (dealer has 2 matching deep cycles on there) and what things must have either shore power or generator? I know the fridge runs on propane, but what about :

AC

electric awning

electric jacks

television & dvd player

microwave

We are thinking about purchasing a generator but we are a little worried about cost and keeping quiet - we usually camp in state campgrounds and don't want to annoy anyone. However, we are expecting in May and camping in June - I know, crazy, but we loooove camping. I might need to heat up a bottle in the middle of the night - can I run the microwave without having to start up a generator?

Thanks for taking the time to read!Edited by: SunsetKeni
Old 03-30-2011, 03:17 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

microwave, tv's and air cond require generator or shore power. not sure about the awning(mines manual) but jacks are 12 volt. do yourself a favor pick up a quiet generator you'll use it. heating up bottles..do it the old fasion way. glass bottle in a pot of boiling water on the stove using propane. good luck.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:24 AM   #3
New Camper

aaaahhh. Now I feel stupid, I didn't even think of heating it on the stove, lol. Thanks!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:02 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I would recommend when you don't have shore power, that you try & see how well you can enjoy camping with battery power. You might find that you don't need a generator. We use two 6-volt batteries and can enjoy "quiet" camping for about 5 days without recharging the batteries.

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

If you like dry camping , you mostly don't care if you have air condition or not, which is good. But if I were you I would still want a generator for backup power incase the battery goes down.The Honda inverter generators are quiet and have a built in battery charger that can bring your battery back to full charge.You never know when someone will leave the lights on and run the battery low or when you may need the exhaust fan all day and pull the battery down.That like me never leaving the water pump on when dry camping, because not only could I have some one leave a faucte on and drain my fresh water tank, but they would also fill my gray or black.This is just the way I am, I like a backup plan.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

We love our Honda 2000. We even ordered the trailer with the smaller AC but the Honda won't run the AC. Now contemplating a Honda Companian to tie the two together for the power the AC needs.With conserving we can make 2 days on standard 12v.

2006 GMC Duramax-Edge Evolution

2011 CT29RLX

Bikes,Canoe,toys,toys,toyz
we-canoe is offline   Reply With Quote