Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Not necessarily related to RVs, however,

I removed the battery (Crown Deep Cycle, 2 years old) from our Slingshot and have had it hooked up to a Battery Tender Plus in the garage for a couple weeks now. While in the garage recently, I heard a sound emanating from the battery. The best description I can give of the sound is like an electric coffee pot percolating. It was brief, intermittent and only lasted a couple perks each time. The battery is sealed/capped straight from the trailer.

Coincidently, the first time I heard this was a few hours after BC Hydro came by and exchanged our meter for one of those new "Smart" meters and, in doing so, had to turn the power off for about 30 seconds. However, not sure if this is related. The correct green light is currently showing on the Tender.

As I have had other batteries hooked up to this device in the past and I have never heard this gurgling sound before from any battery, I thought I would ask if anyone here has any experience with this sort of thing??

Thanks in advance,

Marv
Marpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

When batteries charge, they emit gas. If the caps were on, could it be the gas was escaping out the cap vent hole?

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
Site Team

I have the battery minder plus and have used it for two years now hooked up to my two Trojan 6V in the off season, and have never heard anything like you have described. I was of the understanding that particular battery minder doesn't over charge.
You probably should contact either the manufacture or the selling dealer and ask if that would be normal to being hearing that.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the responses.

Having no knowledge of batteries and how they charge, I have no idea whether they make any sound if gas vents during charging. However, it certainly did not sound like gas venting, more like a liquid percolating. I think I will take Old Farmer's advice and contact the dealer/manufacturer to be on the safe side. The wife would never let me forget it if the battery exploded and blew up the house.......

Marv
Marpel is offline   Reply With Quote