Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2016, 01:46 PM   #1
New Camper

Bearing Repack Interval

Hello-

I have a 2014 Crossroads Zinger and wondering about wheel bearing lubrication. The dealer told us there were Zerk fittings on the wheels, but I've been unable to find them and assuming this is wrong.
So my question is how often do the wheel bearings need to be repacked?

We're going into our 3rd year of camping and don't travel more than 2500 miles per season.

Thanks,
Sammy
sammyjenkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

You will find many answers and opinions on this. Some say every year. I do mine based on our travels, usually every two years. I don't like the EZ lube which if you have is probably found behind the black rubber cover on the center cap of your rims. Read up on the EZ lube system and make your own opinion. Also do a search on this forum as it has been discussed several times. New rigs should be done right away as the factory sometimes doesn't do it (either Lippert or CR)
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:00 PM   #3
New Camper

I've looked around and haven't found the grease port. Do I have to take the wheel off to see it?
sammyjenkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

If this is your first time repacking on this trailer I'd pull the drums. One my '13 ST32RL I repacked the bearings at the start of the third year and found 3 of the 4 drums had grease on the magnet surface. Lippert must have "packed" the bearings through the grease zerks and pushed grease through the seals. I could never figure out why the brakes did not work very well until I saw the mess inside the drums.
Hensley Arrow
BessieHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:14 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Go to search key on top right of this page. Type in wheel bearings and hit go. Look for Dexter EZ Lube posted by MartyinSC. ( about 6 down from top) Great video on the EZ lube. You'll also see lots of comments and suggestions about lubricating your wheel bearings.
matherne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:30 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I'll chime in once here. I believe in EZ lube, and follow CR's recommendations about using them. They are NOT the same as Bearing Buddies. I had to pump a LOT of grease through to get new grease to come out the front. Evidently, even in the manufacturing process, they just hand-pack the bearings. The system is designed to pump new grease through a tube, then through the rear bearing, then through the cavity, and finally out the front bearing. No leakage or brake problems here.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:06 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by matherne View Post
Go to search key on top right of this page. Type in wheel bearings and hit go. Look for Dexter EZ Lube posted by MartyinSC. ( about 6 down from top) Great video on the EZ lube. You'll also see lots of comments and suggestions about lubricating your wheel bearings.
Yours are Lipperts not Dexter axles.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:09 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by markandkim View Post
Yours are Lipperts not Dexter axles.
I mean the OP's axles.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:36 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyjenkis View Post
Hello-

I have a 2014 Crossroads Zinger and wondering about wheel bearing lubrication. The dealer told us there were Zerk fittings on the wheels, but I've been unable to find them and assuming this is wrong.
So my question is how often do the wheel bearings need to be repacked?

We're going into our 3rd year of camping and don't travel more than 2500 miles per season.

Thanks,
Sammy
The Dexter axle manual states 12 months or 10,000 miles. I did mine 1 year with 5,000 on them.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:14 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Since I have had my unit I have looked at the bearings every year. The dealer told me every two to three years but it is a peace of mind issue with me.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:16 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

I only do mine when I need new tires or brakes. Has worked for me for the last 40 years. Never had a bearing failure on TT, horse trailer, or utility trailer.
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:30 AM   #12
Weekend Camper

Only problem with leaving them long now-days is they all manufacture these axles with "chinese" made bearings not the good brands that are made in the US, Japan or Germany.
I haven't had a failure with them though but I switched mine out on my previous trailer to SKF last year cause I don't trust chinese made stuff that can leave you roadside.
I'll likely do the same with my new trailer as well.
Making sure the grease is clean and packed well plus the preload on the bearing is right will make for many trouble free miles IMO.
I might be going over board but I'd rather have my days of being stranded roadside long ago behind me.
DerwoodF350 is offline   Reply With Quote