Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2022, 07:29 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Bike carrier

Hello,

I was looking at bike carriers that mount over the propane tanks. Just doing some research and verifying measurements and such. Anybody use these? Good /bad opinions? Thank you!

Jim

Let's Go Aero - 429756 Jack-It Double Bike Carrier System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYRM7MM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KMBM0J3SMQNNWNQFV2JE
xltjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 08:44 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Something to consider would be extra tongue weight and how convenient it is to load / unload the bikes.
660catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 05:38 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I don't have experience with that rack, but am of the opinion that if you're going to use a bike rack on the camper, the style you have there is the way to go.

Back bumper racks are dangerous because you can't see what's going on back there. Also, most RV bumpers are not designed to have anything hanging off of them. I realize some of you do it successfully. However, I've seen too many instances in my travels where it goes wrong to support it.

I'm an experienced cyclist with over 35 years of hauling bikes experience. Bikes are expensive and well worth the extra money spent to travel with them safely. My new to me camper came with a real nice rear-mounted rack that's now used on my Buick.

Currently located between Georgia and Insanity.

007matman AKA Matt
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:10 AM   #4
New Camper

I have the Jack-It bike rack that goes over the propane tanks. For me I like it and it works perfectly. It does add some weight to the tongue so make sure to take that into account. Also, loading and unloading is kind of a pain. I am taller, and can manage by myself, but it is much easier if you have 2 people. I usually load and unload while hooked up to truck. Then I am able to stand on the tailgate. Even still, not the easiest.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:32 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

My CR TT has the factory installed rear ladder. I purchased the bike carrier made exclusively for the ladder. The name brand escapes me, but I hang two adult bikes for many trips over several years without issue.
1995 Ram 1500 4x4 5.4 Gasser/Hunt Truck (cherry)
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote