Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2016, 08:07 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Bike rack

So just like our last trailer, we were told we can't put a bike rack on the bumper or it will void the warranty. Our kids' bikes are no longer the little bikes with training wheels and it's taken up a bit of space putting them on the beds. Just wondered if anyone did anything unique that works and doesn't void warranties.
Mmattias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Depending on your tow vehicle, I installed a front receiver on my truck haul the bike on the front.
Hensley Arrow
BessieHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 10:01 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Mmatties
It would help if you added a Signature with the model of your truck and camper so when you ask a question those who would like to help would know right-a-way what kind of camper you have...With that being said...there was someone on this forum that welded a bike mount to the KING PIN of his 5er...Assuming that you have a 5th wheel...Also there are ladder mounts assuming you have one of those...

Bessie had a good idea with the front truck bumper mount...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 06:25 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

Pretty much anything/anywhere you add to your rv that didn't come from the factory voids your warranty or at least gives them an excuse to deny it, but if you have a good dealer that's up to them. Hopefully you will never need your warranty!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 07:22 PM   #5
Site Team

If the bumper falls off, before you report it to the dealer, take off the bike rack. Tell them is was faulty installation by the manufacturer.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:59 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Voiding the warranty and carrying a couple of bikes is two different things. My Cruiser Aire 5'er has a bumper with a factory 2" hitch coupling. My understanding is it will hold 300 pounds. I intend to plug in a rack and carry two bikes (certainly less than 150 pounds, probably closer to 100.)

I think Crossroads says "no warranty" because they don't want to be holding the bag if someone drills the bumper and supports full of holes and/or applies a bunch of backyard welds to haul a motorcycle or golf cart off the ground. However, the actual square bumper is pretty thin so I would be leery of even a clamp on bike rack on it due to torque caused by the racks height.

Bottom line IMHO is first determine if it is feasible to safely mount the bike rack. If not, move on. If it is feasible, then decide if you want to chance the warranty question. Of course if you can safely haul bikes, the warranty question shouldn't come up. If you have to extensively modify the bumper or frame it is probably not a good idea to begin with, both safety and costwise.

A final thought: If you do mount something, be sure it is rigid and doesn't bounce around creating additional stress on the bumper/frame. Just my 2 cents.
stormseeker is offline   Reply With Quote