Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2011, 11:29 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We're finishing day 3 in the new Slingshot TT and something a bit odd has come up. I've been watching the gauges, waiting for one of them to show movement. This morning, the black read 1/3 full. Gray still empty. A few hours and one shower later, it reads 2/3. Now I know that the gauges aren't all that accurate, but I'm wondering if something is wrong. I kind of got the feeling from reading other posts on the forum that the gray tank typically fills sooner than the black.

I've heard that some manufacturers save money by hooking the shower to the black tank, but I'm thinking that CR wouldn't do that on one of their products.

So, any ideas?

Thanks, Jeff
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

my gauges are messed up too. Inside the on the display grey tank #1 is grey tank pull valve #2. My freshwater will read full for 3 days with 6 showers/dishes/handwashing etc ... then over 12hrs it goes 2/3 then 1/3. My black tank almost always reads 2/3s. The only way I can correct that is about 15 gallons of water and lots of ice cubes and a bumpy highway. Even after getting my black tank flush system repaired it still doesn't go much good (not sure about other peoples....)
I don't put a lot of faith in those gauges... over time you will get an idea how much you use and you won't even need to check the levels.

As for the shower going to the black tank... I highly doubt Crossroads would do it either.
'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

The shower will be on the gray tank. We just took our Cruiser out this weekend on it's maiden voyage. Our black tank showed empty the hole time, it was probably about 2/3 full when we left. So this in one of several items we will be taking in for warranty issues. Our gray tank worked fine though.

2012 Crossroads Cruiser 31QB

B&W Companion Hitch

martinstwopopfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
hhh
Seasonal Camper

No matter the brand the stock gauges are guesses at best.

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

The only sensor that seems to work at all anymore is the fresh water. The others will read 1/3 or 2/3 when I know they are empty no matter how much I flush and drain.
**Mason-Dixon Bunch**
CruiserJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 12:29 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

My Black Water gauge has been reading 2/3 most of the trip so far, ten days. Yesterday I added some sensor cleaner and filled the tank to almost full before we left camp. We drove 120 miles and when we arrived at the next camp I emptied the tank. The gauge now reads empty. I guess there was somethinginterferingwith the gauge.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 01:28 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Unless they have changed the sensor design, all they consist of are small probes sticking into the tank about 3/4" of an inch. There are normally 3-4 of them at different levels on the side of each tank. The sensor reads resistance. As the water levels rise, the level hits the next sensor and the monitor indicates which sensor has water touching it. If there is paper, debris or even a bit of food or grease on the sensor it can give false readings. This is why the fresh water tank sensors normally read more accurately. I have heard of the wiring on the monitor display having the sensors wired to the wrong tank display (or the wrong level sensor wired to a particular level indicator light). One way to check this, is to have all tanks empty and fill the tanks one at a time with water and see how the display reacts as you fill each tank.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote