Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2015, 01:19 PM   #1
New Camper

Black Tank Drain Issue

We have a 2013 Rushmore Washington 5th wheel. We have begun experiencing a dumping problem where the tank will not drain. I am wondering if the Sani Flush can be used to get the tank to empty. It is currently 2/3 full and I am concerned. Not thinking of things I did not flush and drain a couple of times after we bought it to be sure all is draining correctly. We bought it used but there are no signs of anyone having been in it more the one or 2 times. The propane tanks were not even filled. I digress. Any help would be appreciated.

John and Salena Fritz
SalenaJohnFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:58 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

We had our black tank plug up on us on our previous fifth wheel. We were told the way to unplug it was to fill the dumping hose with grey water and then lift it up, causing it to back into the black tank and dislodge the blockage. This worked for us. After that experience, we never tossed any toilet paper into the toilet again. We have a step can with a plastic garbage bag beside the toilet. Used toilet paper goes in there, and once a day I toss it in the trash.

Since doing that, we have never had the black tank clog up again. There are packets of stuff you can throw down the toilet to liquefy the waste. They are available at Walmart. Try that and see if it helps.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
New Camper

I fixed our drain problem the same way. Little trash can lined by the toilet. No problems since. I use the geo method to keep the tank fresh. A cup of laundry detergent an a cup of water softner after each camping trip.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I am wondering if your valve is opening. You could try backflushing it with the grey water but would be careful as you said it was 2/3 full already. Not a fan of the idea as I would be concerned about the possibility of it overflowing inside the rig. Snaking it is not going to be a pleasant experience but may be necessary. Once fixed try the GEO method and always add several gallons of water after you dump. I always add water and try to get it at least 1/2 or better before dumping blank tank. We even sometimes dump the dish water down the loo to make the grey last longer and to get volume needed to do a proper black dump. When done this way there is no reason you can't flush the toilet paper.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:11 PM   #5
TDG
Seasonal Camper

Are you sure the supports that hold the tank to the frame haven't bent from the weight of the water in the tanks. Mine did on my Jefferson drained real slow and was always 2/3 full of. Waste till I supported it correctly.

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
TDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:38 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
I am wondering if your valve is opening. You could try backflushing it with the grey water but would be careful as you said it was 2/3 full already. Not a fan of the idea as I would be concerned about the possibility of it overflowing inside the rig. Snaking it is not going to be a pleasant experience but may be necessary. Once fixed try the GEO method and always add several gallons of water after you dump. I always add water and try to get it at least 1/2 or better before dumping blank tank. We even sometimes dump the dish water down the loo to make the grey last longer and to get volume needed to do a proper black dump. When done this way there is no reason you can't flush the toilet paper.
Also, be sure to use a degradeable toilet paper. Many say they are, but some are better than others. Folks have posted tests on various RV forums, and the latest test I've seen rates Members Mark from San's club the most degradeable.

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
2015 F350 6.7L Diesel 4X4 - long bed, dually
Jerry Pinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:21 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

You will never have enough water in your black tank to flush it clean if you are camping with full hook ups and leave the black tank gate valve open. I will leave the gate valve closed and open it every two or three days just to empty the black tank. The gray tank gate valve I will leave open unless I'm building up a water supply to rinse the hose after dumping the black tank.
allenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:55 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

We park our rig in Florida in one spot for 3 months or more every winter. This past winter, one of our neighbors just left his tanks open all the time. I suggested this was not a good idea, but he felt he knew better. I drained ours every three days.

I am surprised it took as long as it did, but three months in his toilet backed up. I am pretty sure he was putting toilet paper down the hatch.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
We park our rig in Florida in one spot for 3 months or more every winter. This past winter, one of our neighbors just left his tanks open all the time. I suggested this was not a good idea, but he felt he knew better. I drained ours every three days.

I am surprised it took as long as it did, but three months in his toilet backed up. I am pretty sure he was putting toilet paper down the hatch.
Leaving your black tank open is NOT a good idea. You need the volume for a proper dump. Jerry brought up a good point about TP. You can use any TP meant for RV or boat and even some "home" TP if it breaks down when wet. Many videos out there that explain that. It is perfectly acceptable to put your TP down the toilet. However, you absolutely need the volume to flush it out. My black is never nowhere near full after three days. If not 1/2 to 2/3 full you will need to add water to get a proper flush.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 04-15-2015, 10:05 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D View Post
Leaving your black tank open is NOT a good idea. You need the volume for a proper dump. Jerry brought up a good point about TP. You can use any TP meant for RV or boat and even some "home" TP if it breaks down when wet. Many videos out there that explain that. It is perfectly acceptable to put your TP down the toilet. However, you absolutely need the volume to flush it out. My black is never nowhere near full after three days. If not 1/2 to 2/3 full you will need to add water to get a proper flush.
Agree! I know that most of us work on disconnecting the sewer hose the morning we're leaving a campsite. As such, we have lots on our mind, and don't want to "dally" around. But to this point, here's what we should do.
1. Close the Gray valve, and turn the hot water heater off. Then run hot water into the gray tank until it starts to run cool. (this will cool down your water heater, and at the same time, fill your gray tank with nice warm water.
2. Dump the Black tank. Close the Black valve, and by filling water in the toilet, do it again. That is, put at least 2/3rds tank of cold water back into your black tank. Then drain it AGAIN.
3. Clean your pipes and hose by draining the GRAY tank of warm water.
4. Don't forget to sequentially lift your drain hose from the outlet end all the way to the sewer end, to make sure everything went down.
5. With both black and gray valves close, disconnect your "stinky slinky," and hold the end up high. Then, with a hose other than your fresh water hose, or with your outdoor shower, point water into your stinky slinky. Don't touch it, or let your fresh water touch it. Just run some fresh water down the hose.
6. Disconnect the sewer hose from the screw-in-elbow. Collapse it, and stow it inside your 4" bumper.
7. Finally, remove the elbow, replace campsite cap, then hose it off with same hose/shower, before stowing.
8. Put hoses, elbows, and outside showers into travel mode.
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 09:16 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Addendum! I am shocked! Our 4-month old camper has only about 20 nights of camping to date. This weekend I flushed the black tank with a King Flush. It took FOUR flushes of the black tank to get rid of all the toilet paper! We are switching to RV-type right away!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:17 PM   #12
New Camper

I want to thank you all for the help. I had to snake the line several times and each time filling up the tank from the toilet. Finally get a great flush and am now looking for the soft water additive to put in the tank. Used the SaniFlush as well and that help the lower end. Seems to be in good shape now.

John and Salena Fritz
SalenaJohnFritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

You should be using an RV/Marine paper or at least a paper that disintegrates when wet anyway. The GEO method works as it is a water softener.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Old 04-21-2015, 09:06 PM   #14
Site Team

Here's a video on how to test tp for an rv.
If if passes this test, your good to go.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 04:04 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

Before my current TT, I had an older model (1983). It was very basic and to clean the black tank, I would dump 2 gallons or so of ice cubes into to with 1 gallon of water. Just enough mixture to make it slosh. Going down the road would agitate the ice and clean the inside of the tank. An ol'timer told me this trick. Plus, NO PAPER for me either.
Igmire01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:13 AM   #16
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Here's a video on how to test tp for an rv.
If if passes this test, your good to go.
Mark,
Has the site figured out how to post videos to the Documents section yet?

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
Old 04-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #17
Site Team

I'll check it out Jerry

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Old 04-22-2015, 08:17 AM   #18
Site Team

Jerry, file added to documents.

Old 04-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #19
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Jerry, file added to documents.
That's good news, Mark....there are very useful videos throughout the forum that can be placed there as they come up again. Anything special that you need to do to submit a video for posting?

2014 Elevation 3616 5er
Old 04-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #20
Site Team

If people can't do it themselves, let me know.