Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
New Camper

The black water tank on my 2007 Cruiser appears to have shifted. The back corner of the tank (where the outlet comes out) has dropped about 2-3 inches bulging the under belly covering. The system still works. My concern ...how is this tank held in place ?...by metal straps ? ... by rods ? Is this as far as it can go? ...is it wedged there or will it shift further? Any info would be appreciated before I go ahead and start to take off this under belly covering?
Dave
dandmoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

The tank has two "ribs" that stick out from the sides (molded as part of the tank). These ribs run the entire length of both sides. The ribs sit on two pieces of angle iron that run between the frame rails and are bolted/ welded(?) to the frame rails. It's possible the angle iron has shifted or the ribs have broken allowing a shift in the tank. There are no straps or bottom supports for the tank. It's also possible the spacing between the angle iron bars were placed just a bit too far apart. Only dropping the membrane will tell for sure what is really going on. I certainly would not drive it or fill the tank until you investigate further. Keep us informed.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I agree with Stan. I would NOT want to be driving down the road and have the tank dislodge totally.
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan
The tank has two "ribs" that stick out from the sides (molded as part of the tank). These ribs run the entire length of both sides. The ribs sit on two pieces of angle iron that run between the frame rails and are bolted/ welded(?) to the frame rails. It's possible the angle iron has shifted or the ribs have broken allowing a shift in the tank. There are no straps or bottom supports for the tank. It's also possible the spacing between the angle iron bars were placed just a bit too far apart. Only dropping the membrane will tell for sure what is really going on. I certainly would not drive it or fill the tank until you investigate further. Keep us informed.

I had my tank drop down last year as well . The angle iron brackets as noted above can flex out as weight is applied from waste. These L or angle brackets when flexed will allow the tank to slip down until pinched.

I had to put a gusset between my black and gray tanks, not allowing either to flex out to solve the problem.

I question the gauge of the steel used as it easily flexes over the 8' length, across the trailer.

Don't Drive until fixed!

Good luck.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote