Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2016, 03:35 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Blower motor won't run,

I just had my 2016 Rezerve 31BH 5th wheel a little over a year. We have it a permanent spot over 2 hours away. I arrived yesterday to find that the fan doesn't run at all! I tried the A/C on auto , hi and low but the fan will not blow. I hear the A/C working but the fan will not engage and after about a minute the a/c shuts down. It's the same story on the "fan only" and furnace settings. Does anybody have any ideas? It looks like Dometic has a 2 year warranty but I'm afraid my dealer will require me to move my trailer to them which would be a huge hassle as the dealer is 3 hours from the campground. In addition, our house another 2 hours from the dealer. Does anyone know if I can have a closer Dometic authoritized dealer take care of it as there are many closer options. Not a real fan of the dealership I bought it from. But I'm not sure if all the hassle and driving time and a couple hundred bucks in gas is worth it vs paying out of pocket somewhere closer. Any experience with these warranties? Otherwise this new camper is unusable in its current state. It was 92degrees inside when I left and 76 degrees outside. Also, how do I check the blower motor, by getting on the roof and removing the cover? I've reset breakers, pulled and checked fuses. I appreciate any suggestions or ideas.
Thanks!
Joepanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:14 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I would suggest removing the shroud to check if any critters have nested in the fan. See if the fan can be rotated by hand.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:29 PM   #3
Site Team

If you cannot solve the problem, call Crossroads and see if they can recommend a mobile certified warranty tech.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Dirt dauber wasps stopped my fan from turning once. Easy fix.

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:00 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks everybody! I will try these suggestions and anything else I read. I assume it's on the rooftop under the shroud (the fan).
Old 08-07-2016, 09:14 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joepanther View Post
Thanks everybody! I will try these suggestions and anything else I read. I assume it's on the rooftop under the shroud (the fan).
You are correct, it's under the shroud.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

The a/c compressor unit won't operate if the fan isn't operating...just like stated. Keep in mind, most fan bearings are sleeve bearing, not roller or ball bearing and can easily lock up without use. I know when I have that same problem with a window a/c, I pull the shroud off and shoot a bit of lubricant (not wd-40) on the stem and get it moving free again before it will operate.
I know some will say to replace the fan now and that might become a necessity, but for now, free it up and I'll think you'll solve your issue.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:02 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I just had 1 of my A/C units replaced under Dometic's 2 year warranty by a mobile tech. Other than the fee to come to me ($75) there was no charge.
Definitely quicker than taking to the dealer, probably cheaper too when you consider the drive both ways.
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I have an issue with my AC and have and analog thermostat. The dealer told me there are 2 fuses in it that might cause a problem. The 2016 probably has a digital thermostat, but a hidden fuse might be the issue. The dealer service manager might point you at them if you tell them the situation and distance to them.
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:29 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Joe
Do you have a Dometic digital thermostat.??? I know that many people including myself had a problem with them and had to have them replaced...I also agree with having a mobile tech come to you as opposed to moving the camper...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:23 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Blower fixed!!

The blower motor is fixed! i met the tech at the campground and he climbed on top and removed the shroud, and voila, a bird's nest! It was the biggest collection of long grass I'd ever seen . Probably a bushel basket full. Our next step is to get some wire screen and line the inside of the shroud with it. That should hopefully keep any critters out.

SleepyT, yes it's a Dometic and the tech brought a new one (thermostat) with him just in case. Thanks!!!

I want to thank everyone for all the tips and support, it's really appreciated!! I hope I can return the favor! Great forum!!!

Joe
Old 08-12-2016, 11:33 AM   #12
Site Team

Bot, I'll bet that's a BIG relief.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a/c not working, non working fan