Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2011, 11:17 PM   #21
New Camper

Send a message via AIM to BTreick
Not to derail this post but I have a question concerning your towing vehicle and trailer. Your picture appears you have a Tundra truck pulling about a 30 footer? I'm looking with interest, I have about the same setup. Can you offer any advise on pulling tips and truck setup.
Thanks, Bob
Old 02-07-2011, 01:49 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

Bob-

I'm guessing you're referring to my sig picture. I haven't weighed my ST30BH but the brochure lists it at 5280 lbs. dry and 31'7" exterior length. We don't pack a lot into it as to keep it as light as possible and rarely tow with much fresh water..just enough for a flush or two along the way if needed. The Tundra has the 5.7 liter engine, I believe about 381 HP, 4.30 rear end gearing, 10,100 lb towing capacity. We got the Tundra to better handle the Colorado mountain passes. I always tow in Tow/Haul mode and on the steepest passes drop into third gear and keep the revs to around 3,000 RPM. It'll still go faster but don't want to rev above that. Keeps us at around 55 MPH which is O.K. Haven't been in a hurry since I took early retirement about 9 years ago. Two years ago we took a grand tour of Wyoming/Montana for about three weeks and towed the same trailer with a Durango 5.7 liter with 3.92 rear end. Durango was O.K. but the Tundra performs much better. Really like the Equal-I-Zer hitch too. Hope this is the info you were looking for, if not ask away.

Russ

Breckenridge, CO
'08 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST30BH Traded
'21 Grand Design Reflection 31MB 5er
'22 Cougar 29RLI 5er
'23 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD
coastn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 PM   #23
Weekend Camper

We Just purchased a CF26RKX with the Mastertrack tires. After some research in several RV forums, it has been decided to upgrade the tires. We have had tires fail on our first two trailers. Luckily with very little damage. The hassles and problems that a tire failure can cause can cost more than a set of quality tires with a good reputation.

Here is an article about trailer tires and life expectancy.

http://www.tirereview.com/Article/59...tability.aspx#

Edited by: ntrsandman
ntrsandman is offline   Reply With Quote