Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
New Camper

Hi All, we have a 2009 Kingston kf36gb, and on our way home this afternoon from a weekend in the Wisconsin Dells we had a blowout about 15 miles from home. We were on the interstate, going 65 MPH when it blew. We have some damage to the rig, including fender being torn off, some damage to the underneath, the slide mechanism that spins while the slide closes is bent, wiring (about 10’ worth) was left dangling there, the gate valve controls for the tanks are busted, the aluminum is ripped up and the tire rim is damaged. <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

Can anyone help me understand what I should expect from the insurance company (Progressive) and what to expect as far as a repair time (once they can get it in?), also, any idea on what I should expect from the tire manufacture (Voma Trail Express 18�)? I have taken extra care of the tires because a family member of mine has a 31’ Cougar that has had 6 blown tires in 8 years (he’s ready to give up RV’ing). I always make sure they stay covered; air pressure is always checked before we hitch up, the rig has been weighed three times since we had it and it was 1300# under weight, I and don’t drive fast. These tires have less than 4000 miles on them, and the one thing I have feared most has now occurred, on only our 4<SUP>th</SUP> time out. Any tips, information or just encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

We have reservations for one of the most beautiful (and hard to get into) state parks in Wisconsin this upcoming weekend, but will most likely have to cancel and lose the $ we already paid. I had to reserve 11 months in advance to get into this place...Dang.

Thanks, Tom

tougie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Tom;

I hope you and the family are all right. We just experienced our first blow out on my 07 PP. We had two on our last trip, one going to Myrtle Beach and one on the return trip. I know the tires cut me up pretty good trying to get them off the trailer while on the interstate side of the road.

I had some damage to my rig, but not like you have experienced. I lost my gas line to the fridge with some fender damage (I could bend it back). I did not loose my rim on these blow outs.

Not sure about insurance and your question concerning them. I did not talk to mine and just took it to a local dealership to get repaired. Still waiting on cost of this.

I'm sure everyone will want to know what type of tires you had? Mine were TowMax with less than 3K miles on them and looked great. I had to replace all of them now.

Best of luck and again sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Duncan & Chelsea (Scotty Dogs)

Williamsburg, VA

2009 Dodge 3500 DRW QC 6.7L

2007 PP PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Virginia RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:51 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

It seems to be the common theme across the RV forums of the new ending stories from the crap tires the manufactures have installed on their trailers. We had two of the Mission"China Bombs"start to come apart on us with less than 5K miles on them. We got lucky it happened right as we got home from a trip and not running down the highway when they would have turned loose and tore the side of the trailer up. I had the Missions taken off and replaced them with a set of BFG Commercial LT tires. I feel much better towing the trailer now since we had the El Cheapo tires replaced. I am glad Crossroads saved a few bucks by having them installed on our trailer because it cost us about $750 to have good tires installed on our trailer so we felt safe driving down the road.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:14 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

MY BIL blew two out. The insurance was giving him a hard time because there was no accident or proof he hit anything. The tire company (Carlile) wanted to inspect the tires to see if he hit anything. I know he lost one tire on 95 so that couldn't be looked at and he beat up the fenders pretty good. It took a while to get the fender shipped since they are big, but the body shop told him it was a quick fix once they had the part.

Have: 2008 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2006 GMC Yukon Denali
croberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

If a tire simply blows with out striking something, then there will be no coverage for the tires. Even if they are covered they it is NOT replacement coverage. Usage will depreciate the amount you might receive. However, any damage caused to the trailer from a blowout should be covered subject to your comprehensive deductible.

Hope this helps!

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

You might want to give Crossroads a call and the tire co. They may cover the damages that you have incurred since the tires that come from the factory seem to be junk.
malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:24 PM   #7
New Camper

Hey all, better news today. I called the tire company and they had me e-mail them pictures and send the DOT and date infoto them. They called me back this afternoonand told me they will cover all of the damage to the trailer, my deductable and replace the tire and rim. I was quite shocked, to say the least. I need to mail them the date code and DOT info cut from the tire, my insurance info and repair quote. Although I am not a fan of Voma tires, I am a fan of their customer service. The trailer is going in for repairs tomorrow. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
New Camper

Keith &amp; Kathy,

Thanks for the reply. No one was hurt during this mess, other than a couple of crabby kids having to sit on the side of the interstate waiting for AAA, we're all good. The tires are from the Voma Tire Corporation. There customer service seems to be pretty good. I was able to talk to someone first thing this morning and by 1:30 CST they called to tell me they would cover everything.

I'm considering upgrading tires, any recommendations? I can't afford to have this happen to often.

Thanks again, Tom
Old 08-31-2009, 03:18 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I installed Maxxis tires on our Cruiser and am very satisfied. Many have installed MichelinXBS(?)Ribs and love them but are expensive. I just wanted the Missions off the Cruiser and onto the utility trailer.
malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:20 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Well after reading these post you all got me thinking , i did asearch on my tire size at Tire Rack and found Goodyear Marathon any thoughts on these? WE currently have Missions tires Wife wants to go to Myrtle beech next year trying to plan ahead. Tire size 205/75/14 on Sunset Trail.
T-n-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:51 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

I had marathons on my previous TT. They were a good tire that lasted a long time. I replaced them with new marathons and then sold the TT a few years later for the Cruiser.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:44 AM   #12
New Camper

I bought Good Year Marathons some time ago assuming they were not made in China. Well, guess what. Looked at them the other day. It says made in China on them. Made me feel good.

R28 RL

04 Duramax
harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:16 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

I was reading somewhere, here or RV.net that certain sizes of Goodyear are being made in the USA. Still not sure I'd trust them. I'll probably buy Maxiis, my rims are rated at 80# so will get E rated. I'm not convinced about LT's for the trailer. I have Towmax, almost 6000 miles this year, probably 5000 last year (my first year). Will do NC at Easter and the Outer Banks next summer, 5000 alone with several short trips and maybe out West as well and am putting new tires on before I leave. My tires still look new but.............I heard 10,000 should be the limit. 500 dollars is cheap piece of mind.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

I have been trailering for over 40 years and what I've learned is that most trailer tires are operated at a load limit too close to their rating. The best trick is to upgrade. That is, if you had 14 inch rims get 15's, etc. Also go to the biggest tire sizeand highest load rating you can fit under the trailer fenders. Usually one step up will almost end tire problems, no matter where the tire is made. It also doesn't hurt to be real fussy about the weight of your trailer and it's load. Anything you can do to lighten it will help. It is always a battle before we travel because I make the DW justify anything that goes into the trailer. If it can be bought at the destination, then it doesn't make the trip. Less weight means less gas too. I have lost one trailer tire in my 40 years and that was my lesson.