Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2020, 06:54 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Blown tire damage

We have a 2015 crossroads Z1 302kb. We blew a tire this summer (china bomb, replaced all 5 with goodyear endurance). At the time, I didn't see any damage. Tonight I started winterizing, and noticed my black tank flush was dripping a bit. Crawled under to tighten it up and noticed there is some carnage above where the tire blew. Looks like some metal piece was mangled, exposing some black material that is similar to landscape fabric and then a good section of plywood exposed. Too dark to get photos tonight, but certainly something that needs addressed. I'm thinking I can get it back to water tight with some roofing paper and then cut a new piece of metal and get it all in place. Unless someone here says, "no way, dummy, that's why you have insurance. Pics tomorrow, but what are your initial thoughts?
Moxiedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 08:40 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Here are a couple shots with a flash. One side is the other good side so you can see what it's supposed to look like. The damaged side is obvious.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20201009_022353983.jpg (236.8 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20201009_022208381.jpg (311.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 10-09-2020, 06:55 AM   #3
Site Team

What ever you do, you will want it water proof, and be able to with stand what's going to be thrown up there from the road.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:33 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

If that's the new endurance tire, it looks pretty worn out. Wear pattern shows bent axle or overload.

Anyone else see it?

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:48 AM   #5
New Camper

For something like that....I might get a rough estimate to have it fixed professionally and correct. Not only for peace of mind, but for resale value as well.

As for the tire wear...it may just be a camera angle.

2015 Ford F150 XLT, 3.5 w. Max Tow Package
2021 Crossroads Sunset Trail 253RB
RAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:59 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

It may have been the combination of the angle and the dust on there. I just checked all four and they are between 16 and 17/32 all the way across the tire. The brand new spare is 17/32.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:33 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

This talk of bent axles made me climb under and see what kind of axle I have going on under there. Turns out I have two 3500 lb axles.

Trailer is 6,244 dry, and has a carrying capacity of 1,552. So even with the factory's conservative estimates (I'm assuming no AC, propane, water, dishes, grill, etc), it's already almost 800 pounds overloaded with the full 1500 pounds on board.

Regarding the damage, I'll likely call some repair shops to see if it is insurance worthy or not.

This is not surprising to me, as I know they try to cut corners wherever possible, but wondering if I should upgrade at some point. I only pull about 1,000 miles each year as we are at a dedicated spot most of the time with just a few side trips.
Old 10-09-2020, 09:40 AM   #8
Site Team

Moxiedog, don't forget the pin box weight takes away from the axle load.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:59 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Moxiedog, don't forget the pin box weight takes away from the axle load.
Understood, but still silly they would make it so close to max. I'd be astonished if I took everything out of my trailer and weighed the pile of stuff. I bet most people would.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:21 AM   #10
Site Team

How was the wear pattern on the old tires? If they were wearing evenly, then I guess i wouldn't get to excited about changing out axles at this point.
It will just be a wake up call for you to be more aware of what you load and where you put it.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:51 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Old tires were wearing evenly up until the blowout.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:34 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Personally, I think you can do a better job of fixing that blowout damage than the factory job. There is no real structural damage, just the covering.
Just cutout some sheet metal to fit, screw it in, and seal the screws and edges. It wouldn't hurt to inspect it now and then, those wheel wells take a lot of abuse in normal conditions.
I highly recommend tire pressure monitors. I have been camping all my life, have had flat tires, but the way these newer RV tires come apart is scary.
A month ago, I was on a trip, I was in the middle of the Arizona desert, and my tire pressure alarm went off. I was going about 65 MPH. I could see the pressure on one tire gong down quickly I pulled over as soon as it was safe, found one tire just starting to separate. If I had not had the TPS, that thing would have come apart, and no telling what damage would have happened.
The tires had probably 2000 miles on them, no appreciable wear, no cracking. It was in the low 90s, I was about 100 miles into a stretch. The tires showed no signs of problems, no increased temperature or pressure. They were, however a little over 5 years old.
Wingerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 11:00 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

Thank you wingerdinger. I was going to do it myself, cut all of the applicable pieces of sheet metal, and crawled under the camper with all types of sealants, tapes, and whatnot. the only thing that stopped me was the large metal bracket that's welded to the frame over to the wall of the camper has been pulled out of the wall of the camper. It's a little bit hard to see in the picture, since all the silver sheet aluminum is bunched up over it, but basically this bracket is welded to the frame, and then bolts into the wood of the wall with a counter sunk nut. When the tire went, it looks like it bent the bracket which bunged up the wood. I'm thinking of having the insurance adjuster come look at it this week, and make my decision from there.

I guess my question for you guys is how important is that bracket?
Old 10-11-2020, 11:42 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

It is hard to see that the bracket is bent, and any wood damage. That bracket supports the floor in that area, and is fastened to the outside wall. I guess I would attempt to straighten it and replace any fasteners, but I would see what the adjuster says.
Perhaps you should pull away the damaged sheet and fabric, and inspect the damage more thoroughly.
I don't know about you, but my insurance deductible is $500, and I can do a lot of my own work for that.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:22 PM   #15
Family Vacation Member

re: blown tire/s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxiedog View Post
We have a 2015 crossroads Z1 302kb. We blew a tire this summer (china bomb, replaced all 5 with goodyear endurance). At the time, I didn't see any damage. Tonight I started winterizing, and noticed my black tank flush was dripping a bit. Crawled under to tighten it up and noticed there is some carnage above where the tire blew. Looks like some metal piece was mangled, exposing some black material that is similar to landscape fabric and then a good section of plywood exposed. Too dark to get photos tonight, but certainly something that needs addressed. I'm thinking I can get it back to water tight with some roofing paper and then cut a new piece of metal and get it all in place. Unless someone here says, "no way, dummy, that's why you have insurance. Pics tomorrow, but what are your initial thoughts?
JUST A FYI/ OPINION, (based on a lot of reading others posts for 5+ years On dual tire rigs of any type, a rolling flat or blowout puts tremendous OVERLOAD oN the mating tire on the same side, whether dually, or tandem axle, and MANY, MANY over the years find they blow the 2nd mating tire within the next 100-miles... **** (AND I SAY: "DUE TO THE ROLLING OVERLOAD, THERE IS UNSEEN INTERNAL TIRE DAMAGE TO THE REMAINING TIRE"), so the RECOMMENDATION is ALWAYS replace dual tires in PAIRS. . FURTHER, the 2nd blown tire now overloaded the new tire (or old spare), so TWO NEW STILL REQUIRED AFTER THE 2ND BLOWOUT, and it has NOTHING to do with "China Bomb" nor "Manufacturing Defect". It is SIMPLE TIRE OVERLOAD. Hope this helps..
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 03:32 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Thanks Terry, I actually replaced all 5 tires.

Update. I called the adjuster. He "doesn't deal much with campers" so he wants me to tow it to a dealer to have them look at it. One independent guy who I have had do some work in the past doesn't want to deal with insurance. I may get a quote from the dealer, take the money, pay the independent guy and be on with life. Frustrating that I am paying a premium to have to do the leg work myself.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:21 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

another update. Camper is at an RV repair place. They won't be able to look at it for 3-4 weeks. Will advise when I hear what the damage is.
Old 01-30-2022, 05:08 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Woefully late in replying to provide resolve. Dealer fixed the camper, and all looks good.

Now onto the next chapter. I checked the camper today (winterized about 6 months a year here in South Dakota). Seemed to be a soft spot in the floor on the passenger side of the front bedroom. Not sure if it's related to the blowout (same side, but quite a bit ahead of the damage). I suppose the damage from the blowout could have let water in and it could have traveled a bit. I'm not optimistic my adjuster would see it the same way, so I'm looking for advice. What's the play here? Peel the black fabric membrane off the bottom and see if it's rotting there? Cut it from the inside? Trade it off? Lol.
Old 01-31-2022, 08:37 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxiedog View Post
Woefully late in replying to provide resolve. Dealer fixed the camper, and all looks good.

Now onto the next chapter. I checked the camper today (winterized about 6 months a year here in South Dakota). Seemed to be a soft spot in the floor on the passenger side of the front bedroom. Not sure if it's related to the blowout (same side, but quite a bit ahead of the damage). I suppose the damage from the blowout could have let water in and it could have traveled a bit. I'm not optimistic my adjuster would see it the same way, so I'm looking for advice. What's the play here? Peel the black fabric membrane off the bottom and see if it's rotting there? Cut it from the inside? Trade it off? Lol.
Whether the soft spot is related to the tire blow out or not, you'll want to get a better look at it. I would definitely inspect the floor from the bottom for water intrusion. You should also be able to determine if the damage is caused from the tire shrapnel. Take plenty of pictures for any insurance claims.
An exploding tire can do a lot of damage, be sure to inspect thoroughly.
Old 01-31-2022, 11:38 AM   #20
Weekend Camper

Unless you find a piece of shrapnel still sticking through the floor and allowing the access of the water I doubt you'll be able to put it on the blown tire. Not entirely familiar with your trailer construction but there should be two layers of plywood separated by insulation in the floor. You should be able to tell if both or only one of them is soft with just poking with a finger or tapping gently with a hammer, take a good floor for your baseline.

The water likes to get in around the windows and door frames if the seal gets crusty.