Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2023, 08:34 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Bolt in flooring

So noticed this past October that we had a bolt pushing up through the vinyl flooring in the living room area of our 5er. So, before our April trip I decided to attack it. I watched some YouTube videos about similar issues. The main solution that most did was to cut the flooring and screw the bolt back down. Before I cut the floor; which I knew would drive me crazy, because I would always notice it. I found a video where someone cut an access in the bottom of the Corrugated Poly to access the bolt. But, before I did that I decided to unscrew the side and see if I could see the bolt. So, I measured from inside and took those measurements and decided approximately where the bolt would be. After removing about 15 screws on the side that holds the bottom on. I was able to pull the side down about 7 or 8 inches. With my flashlight I was able to see the bolt from the flooring going into a metal cross support. Long story short, after removing the front wheel to gain more room, I was able to reach in from the side with vice grip pliers and lock on to the bolt. With about 15-20 half turns of the bolt I was finally able to get it screwed back down. After walking on the vinyl a few times, you can’t even see where the bolt was. No cutting the flooring and no cutting the bottom corrugated poly. Leaving tomorrow for a month at Hatteras NC.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4542AB86-5A25-4CC8-8F4D-1FEF4D317380.jpeg (174.2 KB, 16 views)

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 09:13 AM   #2
Site Team

Good deal Ted. Glad you figured out a way to take care of the situation, and still feel good about it.

Enjoy your trip.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 04:11 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Sounds like a fair amount of effort for one bolt, but saved yourself alot of irritation in the future eyeballing the "fix". nicely done.
Old 03-30-2023, 05:31 PM   #4
Site Team

Good brainstorming. You came up with a great idea. Not many would think of turning the opposite end of a bolt instead of the head.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 07:12 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Thanks for the replies. Took some time but happy with the end result.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 04-06-2023, 04:29 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

That took a bit of ingenuity and time but you got the job done without marring or doing damage to the floor. Great job!

Still, what was that bolt doing at that location. Was it attached to a support member?
Old 04-06-2023, 10:50 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakherder View Post
That took a bit of ingenuity and time but you got the job done without marring or doing damage to the floor. Great job!

Still, what was that bolt doing at that location. Was it attached to a support member?
I believe it was holding down the subfloor and yes it went into a support cross member.

Old 04-09-2023, 04:13 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
So noticed this past October that we had a bolt pushing up through the vinyl flooring in the living room area of our 5er. So, before our April trip I decided to attack it. I watched some YouTube videos about similar issues. The main solution that most did was to cut the flooring and screw the bolt back down. Before I cut the floor; which I knew would drive me crazy, because I would always notice it. I found a video where someone cut an access in the bottom of the Corrugated Poly to access the bolt. But, before I did that I decided to unscrew the side and see if I could see the bolt. So, I measured from inside and took those measurements and decided approximately where the bolt would be. After removing about 15 screws on the side that holds the bottom on. I was able to pull the side down about 7 or 8 inches. With my flashlight I was able to see the bolt from the flooring going into a metal cross support. Long story short, after removing the front wheel to gain more room, I was able to reach in from the side with vice grip pliers and lock on to the bolt. With about 15-20 half turns of the bolt I was finally able to get it screwed back down. After walking on the vinyl a few times, you can’t even see where the bolt was. No cutting the flooring and no cutting the bottom corrugated poly. Leaving tomorrow for a month at Hatteras NC.
Thank you for sharing your fix.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2023, 08:02 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Hope it will help someone else down the line.