Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2011, 09:45 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

I have been looking for brake assemblies and was comparing the info on the Lippert site with Eastern Marine. Lippert list a complete assembly for a 5200-7000# axle (my trailer has 5200# axles) and Eastern list a 5200# assembly but then separate ones for 6K and 7K axles. The ones from Eastern Marine are Dexter 12" x 2". Are the ones from Lippert "heavier" duty and that is why they range from 5.2K-7K? The ones from Eastern are about 1/2 the cost of the ones from Lippert. It just seems odd that to me that the same Lippert assembly I would put on my 5.2K axle would do the job on a 7K axle. Am I missing something here? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

My thoughts, go with the Dexters. It seems that Lippert is a one size fits all assembly to me. Maybe you are looking at it opposite and instead of it being heavier duty it is just the same duty butcheaper.

Lippert made their assembly so that it will be ok to use on either size axle, hence making it cheaper to have only one model for their axles. Take a look at Lipperts track record, do you really think they are going to over engineer something to make it stronger and more expensive to make? When they do the bare minimum on everything else they make?

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:42 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I think most trailer axle companys usr one size for the 5200 to 7000 # axles.The same with seals and most bearings. The Lippert ads say their axles are powder coated when others arn't and self adjusting brakes which most arn't.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote