Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I feel like a dolt but remind myself there is no dumb question. So, here goes.
I am NOT a new camper but I have NEVER towed a camping trailer with brakes. So, I picked up my new 2011 Zinger 25SB trailer with a new Tekonsha Primus 90160 brake controller, I read all the instructions, went back to the dealer twice with questions and I could not get the answer I was looking for. Now, I know about the adjustments and the boost settings. When I am driving about 45 miles per hour and I see a traffic light turn red ahead; I slow down gradually. When I get to about 10 miles per hour, I start getting a slight "jolting" until about 5 MPH. It feels like anti-lock brakes acting up, but it's not, it just feels that way. I have the brake controller set at 8 but I've tried it anywhere from 3 to 10, I have the boost set to 2 but I've tried 1 and 3. All I want to know is; Is this normal? I can live with it but I just wanted to know if it was what I should expect. Also, the instructions say to set the controller to 6, drive 25 MPH, activate only the trailer brake and see if the trailer wheels lock up. If they do, reduce the setting, if they don't, increase the setting. I don't care where I set mine, the trailer wheels never lock up. Before you ask, yes, the brakes are working.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
Weekend Camper

Have you checked the brake adjustment on the zinger? May be over adjusted. All our RVs have had brake adj problems. M2C.
ntrsandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrsandman
Have you checked the brake adjustment on the zinger? May be over adjusted. All our RVs have had brake adj problems. M2C.
X2

2011 Seville VF36SB

https://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/...mi/Seville.jpg
GaPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Not sure I understand "brake adjustment on the Zinger". Do you mean a mechanical brake adjustment on each wheel?
Old 11-10-2011, 01:25 PM   #5
hhh
Seasonal Camper

It is recommend by Lippert that you seat the brakes by applying them hard for a dozen times. I found my brake adjustment changed a lot once the brakes were seated.

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

That may be my problem. I haven't put more than 20 miles on mine since I picked it up and I haven't done that "seating" excercise they recommend by driving with the brakes half on. I guess it will have to wait until Spring now. Then, I can see if I get better results.
Old 11-11-2011, 01:20 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

It almost sounds like a brake drum or two are slightly out of round. I am not a proponent of forcefully "seating" the brakes as you never really know how hot they are getting and when "1/2 application" is too much. I would make sure they are adjusted properly at each wheel and next Spring put more miles on it. Out of round wheel "throbbing" can show up at different speeds depending on severity and brake application. If the problem persists check your brake drums.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:36 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Most likely brake chatter caused by improper seating/adjustment.

Follow the break-in procedure then manually adjust each brake per the manufacturers instructions. Dexter and Lippert websites have all the information you will need.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:52 AM   #9
hhh
Seasonal Camper

From the Lippert manual:

The break-in period is a typical phenomenon with drum brakes and especially electric
drum brakes. Electric drum brakes will require a break-in period to achieve full
performance. This break-in period applies for new axles and any time new brake
shoes and/or magnets are installed as part of regular maintenance.
Lippert Components has found through extensive brake testing that the break-in
period for our drum brakes can range from 20 to 50 brake applications.
Brakes can be seated in by applying approximately 8-10 volts to the trailer brakes at an
initial speed of 40 mph and allowing the truck/trailer combination to slow down to 20 or
25 mph. For best results do not use truck brakes during this procedure. The trailer
brakes will seat in faster by using them to stop both the truck and trailer. The easiest
method is to apply the trailer brakes using the manual activation lever located on the
in-cab brake controller. Care must be taken to not overheat the lining material,
therefore brake applications conducted at one mile intervals will suffice. The driver
should feel a noticeable difference in the brake performance during this period,
sometimes in as few as 10 applications. After 50 applications, the brake lining
material will be fully cured from the heat and develop close to 100% contact with the
brake drum surface.
This break in period not only seats the shoe lining material but also seats in the brake
electromagnets. During the break-in period, the linings will wear at a faster rate than
they do after they are seated in.
NOTE: Brakes should be manually adjusted after the first 200 miles of operation and
periodically thereafter, approx. 3,000 mile intervals.

Old 11-11-2011, 07:18 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Thanks HHH, that's very informative. I've searched the internet for over a half hour and could not find a web site for Lippert or for the kind of material you posted. I found plenty of sites that want to sell me Lippert merchandise but not the Lippert site itself. Could you possibly post the URL?
Old 11-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Try http://www.lci1.com. You should find it there.
'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 11:49 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Horseman,

Not sure if the Prodigy has a sensitivity adjustment but with my son's unit, we can adjust down that sensitivity at the slower stopping speeds to complete stop. If not adjusted properly, it will shutter as you describe above. It is a pain if not adjusted, especially like a whiplash if very far off. His does not have the 3 setting boost feature to help with heavier loads, just the low speed adjustment so not sure that makes a difference.

I have mine built into my truck as factory and that shuttering is not an issue.

I know many have discussed the brakes as the potential issue but once his controller was set correctly, no more of what you describe.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:29 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

We had a Prodigy in our 05 Dodge and have the factory installed BC in our 12 Ram. I have experienced the shudder with the Cruiser with both vehicles. There has been some info stating the electronics in the factory BCs are tekonsha. I fully plan on adjusting the brakes again after performing the break-in. I adjusted the brakes after taking delivery and before our first trip. (not much braking during trip) Thanks for posting the break-in info. Learn something new every day. Edited by: ntrsandman
ntrsandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #14
hhh
Seasonal Camper

The web site is http://www.lci1.comSupport docs are athttp://lci1.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article& id=54&Itemid=66