Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Ref 2011 325 MK Cruiser........ One of the wheels on the front axle locks up when I brake. All brakes are fairly new with about 3500 miles.What causes this to happen? Thanks....Al
albertr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #2
Site Team

You need to raise your trailer, and adjust the brakes "evenly" so one isn't grabbing before the rest.
One wheel up at a time.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Agree with Lloyd, you need to make sure all of the brakes are adjusted the same, (sorry I can't remember how many clicks to back off the adjuster). Then if the problem still exists, you need to pull the drum on that wheel and inspect the brakes, there have been cases of a loose or broken return spring that can cause the brake shoes to grab and not release with the others.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

This should help.<cite style="color: rgb0, 153, 51; font-style: normal; display: inline-block; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: arial, sans-serif; white-space: nowrap; font-size: 14px !imant;">
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

In regard to how many clicks to back off adjustment some mention 3-5 clicks and some recommend 5-8 so I split the info and use 5. Seems to work fine.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by socoguy
In regard to how many clicks to back off adjustment some mention 3-5 clicks and some recommend 5-8 so I split the info and use 5. Seems to work fine.
I don't set mine that close, and a lot depends on how tight they are when you start backing them off.
I usually tighten them to the point where the wheel is hard to turn. One or two clicks tighter and I probably couldn't turn it with one hand. Then I back them off 12 clicks. This is tight enough for me. When I am rolling slow in the driveway an set the brakes manually, it will slide the tires. (Gravel)

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Grease on brake shoes. Recommend pulling that wheel for a close inspection.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:21 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by socoguy
I don't set mine that close, and a lot depends on how tight they are when you start backing them off.
I usually tighten them to the point where the wheel is hard to turn. One or two clicks tighter and I probably couldn't turn it with one hand. Then I back them off 12 clicks. This is tight enough for me. When I am rolling slow in the driveway an set the brakes manually, it will slide the tires. (Gravel)
Thanks for the input Lloyd. I do adjust untill wheel will not turn. I am still somewhat new to this so I will back-off several more clicks.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Adjusted my brakes again. Working better now although the same drum (front L.H.S. still gets hotter than the others). Temp 178deg F . Does not lock up.Other 3 around 150 F. What is a High Temp on drum? Thanks for your help.....Al
Old 07-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertr

Adjusted my brakes again. Working better now although the same drum (front L.H.S. still gets hotter than the others). Temp 178deg F . Does not lock up.Other 3 around 150 F. What is a High Temp on drum? Thanks for your help.....Al

Al,
This is exact opposite of what you originally posted. If one tire is not locking, but getting hot, then I would agree with another poster, probably grease on the brake shoes. Someone over greased the wheel bearings or a damaged seal. Need to pull the drum, clean the drum, clean or replace the shoes, clean and repack the bearings and replace the seals. You might get by with just the single drum, but for balanced braking both drums on the same axle should be rebuilt at the same time.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:03 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

My original post said that the Front L.H.S. brake was locking up and running hot. Last post was to say that I adjusted the brakes today. Wheel is not locking up but the same wheel is running hotter than the others.....Al
Old 07-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

I had one on left side but didn't know which one. Took them both off and brakes looked good on both but one was dragging more than the other so loosened the brakes a bit on that one(maybe too much).

Checked temps on July 4 trip and all temps registered the same and seemed to brake all right. I don't remember any reading on wheel, tires, or hubs were near that temperature but could be wrong.

One thing that I did notice wasneither axle nut went tight enough to lock up the wheel although it drug pretty good. Anyone know if their is some kind of automatic stop or what is going on here?
Edited by: beaker
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote