Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Brakes adjustment question

So I Brought rig home to de-winterize and play with the brake controller. After use of last year it has broken in the brakes and now I need to adjust them. They do not lock up during testing with controller even at highest setting. When you adjust brakes, how do you fellows raise/support the rig? Supposedly you are not supposed to raise or support by the axles correct?
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 05:58 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

On mine, I jack up under the frame near the tire needing attention. I put a jack stand under the axle as near to the wheel as possible for safety reasons. I've heard you could jack up under the u bolt holding the leaf springs to the axle, just as long as you don't go toward the middle. I tend to agree with that, but would only do that if you can't get under the frame. I use a bottle jack with a square piece of 1/4 inch metal so as not to rip the underbelly.
Former: Crossroads ST26RB
Steve7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:03 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for the input. I will bring it back home tomorrow to play with the wheels. Get that chore out of the way. Grease it up too...
Old 05-23-2016, 08:18 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphrider View Post
Thanks for the input. I will bring it back home tomorrow to play with the wheels. Get that chore out of the way. Grease it up too...
I also invested in an IR gun ($17). After adjusting, I drove around for a bit and checked with the temp gun. It will tell you if there is a friction issue heating up the drum. In my case it helped me get all the drums consistent with each other within 5-10 degrees. I have also used it on this current trip for great piece of mind. I had been leaving too much drag before, as did Camping World after they repacked the bearings. One or two drums were heating up. Of course burning my hand told me this also. It's amazing how just a bit of drag can cause it to heat up. I feel I have them just right now.
Old 05-24-2016, 07:05 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I use "Trailer Aid" to work on my brakes...It is the lightest and fastest way to raise a wheel off the ground...Only draw back is you have to move the camper each time you want to work on the next wheel...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 05:53 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Well guys, I like to work smart, so after a few cold barley pops and looking at it, I have found the easiest way without jacks and such. Really surprised this wasn't brought up. With the linx levelers I have I just made a ramp up one tire until the other behind it is up in the air. Doesn't take much really.

Hopefully this helps others. Doesn't have to be linx levelers...wood, whatever.
Old 05-30-2016, 08:17 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by morphrider View Post
Well guys, I like to work smart, so after a few cold barley pops and looking at it, I have found the easiest way without jacks and such. Really surprised this wasn't brought up. With the linx levelers I have I just made a ramp up one tire until the other behind it is up in the air. Doesn't take much really.

Hopefully this helps others. Doesn't have to be linx levelers...wood, whatever.
morph
Hate to burst your bubble, but if you read post #5 the one just before your post I mentioned the "Trailer Aid"...You can see a picture of it if you search it on Camping World...

In God We Trust
Old 05-31-2016, 07:27 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve7 View Post
I had been leaving too much drag before, as did Camping World after they repacked the bearings. One or two drums were heating up. I feel I have them just right now.
I take it you adjusted the drums, not readjusted the wheel bearing tension to lower your temps?
More then likely, CW had to loosen the drum tension to either get the drum off or back on again, and tightened the brake adjustment too much.
I wouldn't expect to see that kind of heat with a bearing issue, however, not a good thing either if the nut is too tight.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:28 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyT View Post
morph
Hate to burst your bubble, but if you read post #5 the one just before your post I mentioned the "Trailer Aid"...You can see a picture of it if you search it on Camping World...
Ha,
you are 100% correct with that thing. When you first mentioned it I was envisioning that other curved looking thing that you place on an axle, then drive forward. That's what I get for assuming

I did get the job done and after taking it for a road test I still couldn't lock up the tires using the brake controller. But it did stop quickly. I will look back into those later this year after there are a few more runs on them to adjust again. By then I will have that "trailer aid" handy.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:49 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

morph
Let me also say there are two heights of "Trailer Aids"...Black & yellow...I believe the yellow colored trailer aid is higher than the black one...You might want to check that, as I get older I don't remember things as well as I used to...

In God We Trust
Old 05-31-2016, 02:40 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
I take it you adjusted the drums, not readjusted the wheel bearing tension to lower your temps?
More then likely, CW had to loosen the drum tension to either get the drum off or back on again, and tightened the brake adjustment too much.
I wouldn't expect to see that kind of heat with a bearing issue, however, not a good thing either if the nut is too tight.
That's correct, I readjusted the drum brake pads. Bearing hub nut appeared good.