Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2010, 12:21 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

I just picked up a new Prodigy P3 and I'm in the process of mounting it in my F250. I got it installed but don't like where I put it, too close to the emergency break handle and peddle. In reading through their literature I do not see anything on how level it needs to be, front to back. The talk about parallel to the direction of travel and level left to right.

In the old Prodigy P2 literature they show a picture of the unit being mounted in any direction, 360 degrees.

My question is, can the P3 be mounted at any angle, front to back?

By the way Ford needs to find a different place for the connector!!! I spent almost an hour trying to mate the two. It's buried under the dash in the center of the truck

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:57 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I had an original Prodigy and there WERE a few limitations. I would think the owners manual would give all the specifics for mounting the P3. On my previous truck I mounted it to the left of the column on the lower dash. This proved an awkward location as I would hit the unit with my knee when getting in/out of the truck. I ended up breaking the mount and had it replaced.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 03:22 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

The manual says;

1. Front of the P3 must be horizontal.

2. The P3 must be parallel to direction of travel.

It further states; "The P3 will automatically acquire the proper level setting. It will also automatically adjust as you travel up or down hills."

That would lead me to believe that I can set it at any angle I desire but it's not stated emphatically like the earlier P2 did completewith a picture showing it going 360 degrees.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:55 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I would suggest mounting it where you want the controller as there is nothing mentioned about the angle of the P3.

Common sense tells me that 2 things, first they revamped the Prodigy to the P2 and added functions that the Prodigy first edition didnt have. The things that were added to the P2 were things that came from the P3 ,i.e. electric over hydraulic, extra boost,etc. So in thinking along them lines I think the P3 can be mounted at any angle. Second the original Prodigy had sensors that told you if it was mounted at a bad angle. Now the P3 has a bunch of features and doesnt have the feature that would tell you that it is mounted at the wrong angle. It seems to me that with all the features the P3 has that Tekonsha wouldnt forget the wrong angle sensor in the P3.

Like I said I would mount it where I wanted it, then I would call the company Monday and ask them if you can mount it at any angle.

Hope this makes sense.Edited by: fixit5561

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:37 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

the ford plug is really not in bad spot. i mounted my controller in the cubby hole near the plug end. i just drilled hole in the back of the cubby hole and connected the plug ends. the controller is close to my right knee but not sticking out. i'm not sure if the dash is different on your truck.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:52 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

OK, my only excuse is that I'm getting older! I noticed that my P3 came with a small DVD. I plugged it in and it showed the P3 being installed at about a 50% angle. I guess if I had watched the DVD in the first place this thread would never have been started.

By the way "spinella" I do have the little cubby hole you talked about but I opted to mount it exactly where my old control was, above the emergency break. I wonder if your plug location is different on your 350 than my 250, mine really was buried.

Thanks as usual to those who replied, this forum is the best!