Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2016, 05:16 PM   #21
Full Time Camper

Here is an update.

I emailed Good Sam through their web site and today a lady called us. We explained what happened. I had figured after it was all over that we should have just called from the side of the Interstate rather than try to drive somewhere to get help. Hubby was unable to determine what the problem was after the trucker let us know there was a problem, so we should have moved the trailer a few feet and he would have seen the wheel wobbling.

She said that we should not have been abandoned after calling the second time. She told us that if you break down and explain what the problem is (in our case, the wheel was about to fall off), they have people on staff who will tell them where it should be towed to for repairs. In our case, they may have towed us to Ohio Trailer Service, who are the people who made the new axle for us. We would have been on our way the same day.

We asked how far will they tow us, and she said as far as is necessary, but if they find a place and you prefer one further away, then they will not tow you further away.

Hubby mentioned the extra expense we went through as a result of having to leave the trailer at Ernie's while we made three trips to Ohio Trailer Service (first to determine if they could help us, then to bring the old axle, then to pick up the new one). The lady offered to extend our roadside assistance by three months. It expires next month. Hubby negotiated her up to six months.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:06 PM   #22
Weekend Camper

Why does it not surprise me that he was able to negotiate her up to six months? That's my dad. That's why I get him to do my negotiating for me. I'm glad it all worked out and that you're home safe.

I bought GS Roadside because I travel alone with my two daughters. I certainly hope they do more than change tires, because that's something I could handle on my own. A broken axle is a different story.
RVn' Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:17 PM   #23
Full Time Camper

Yes, they do more than change tires, they will tow you.

The axle didn't exactly break, it was damaged when the bearing seized. They made a stronger axle to replace it.

I suck at negotiating too.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 06:13 PM   #24
TDG
Seasonal Camper

I had a problem with good Sam roadside. My motorhome was stuck in the mud in a campground and they told me it would cost me 800.00 to get it towed out. Because it was not on a public street.
Auto club RV/ premiere roadside is wonderful
They pulled me out for free. No questions asked.
No more good Sam roadside for me

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
TDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:42 PM   #25
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk1998 View Post
I was wondering how the "AAA Plus RV" roadside assistance plan compares to the Good Sam plan. It would sure be nice to have a piece of mind while out on the road.
When camping last year, I had two injectors fail on my truck and had to have AAA come out. They used a 5th wheel hitch on one tow truck to pull my trailer and another flat bed, to haul my truck. Fortunately, our campground was 99.5 miles from home. Better lucky then good, knowing it would cost 5 bucks a mile after the 100. They didn't care if I had both of them towed to a local repair shop or to my home. No difference for them.
Tipped both of them generously with such great service.
AAA has Always been an excellent value in my opinion. If you need a key cut, tow, battery cleaning or replacement, these guys are the best IMHO.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:54 AM   #26
TDG
Seasonal Camper

AAA Premier RV. Is one 200 mile tow and two. 100 mile tow per card not per household

2013 Jefferson
2006 Chev 3500 DRW
2009 Corvette
Tony & Joanne
Full Time
TDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:37 AM   #27
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
On our way home from Florida we went to New Orleans, then Illinois to visit with Rick & Patty, then off to south-east Ohio to visit a friend. About half an hour west of Columbus on the I-70 a trucker honked at us and pointed to the trailer. We had just changed drivers and hubby had felt the wheel hubs for heat as he always does.

I pulled over and hubby checked but could find nothing wrong at first sight. I kept going to the next exit very slowly. We pulled into a TA and that is when he noticed the rear trailer tire was kind of askew. I called Good Sam Roadside Assistance. While talking to them, I noticed they had a truck repair shop. So I told them we would look into that.

The truck place would not look at it, and told us to go to Camping World, about half a mile away. We limped over to their lot and as we pulled in, the wheel fell off. Hubby retrieved the wheel. Camping World would not fix it either but told us to go across the street to Ernie's Truck Repair. We went there on three wheels.

Ernie said to go to Redneck Parts, 15 minutes away and get an axle. We disconnected the truck and went. Redneck did not have an axle and it would take two weeks to get one in. They also referred us to a place called Ohio Trailer in Columbus as they might help us. I called Good Sam again. Could we have it towed to Ohio Trailer. No, they would not do that. They would tow us to a repair facility, but since we were technically at one, they would not tow us to the right one.

So we drove to Ohio Trailer and they said they could make us an axle. We had to go back to Ernie's and get the axle, which we did. Now this morning, after boondocking at Ernie's, we will go pick up our axle, bring it back to Ernie's, and have it installed.

What could we have done differently? I am beginning to think this Roadside Assistance is not worth renewing. If you are in a strange place, how would you know what facility to get it towed to? It took us three tries to get to Ernie, and two more to get to Ohio Trailer. We travel a lot, so we are very often in a place where we have no idea where to get things fixed.
Have a sunset trail reserve! Less than 4K miles on wheels and recently on a trip here in Texas, noticed smoke on right side. pulled over and right rear bearing was toast. Belong to Big Sam Roadside assistance,,,,forget that!! finally found a local mechanic who dressed the spindle and replaced bearings and new hub. trailer loaded at proper weight specifications. Had what was left of bearings test by destructive analysis, and found to ber defective bearings!! After 8 hours on the side of the freeway,,,we were on our way. Am concerned about rest of bearings and will replace all..Also lost the break backplate due to heat of bearing failure....
Magnumker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 12:27 PM   #28
Full Time Camper

Glad your ok. It sometimes feels helpless when your in that situation. Good luck and safe travels.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote