Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2016, 06:42 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Broke down in Ohio

On our way home from Florida we went to New Orleans, then Illinois to visit with Rick & Patty, then off to south-east Ohio to visit a friend. About half an hour west of Columbus on the I-70 a trucker honked at us and pointed to the trailer. We had just changed drivers and hubby had felt the wheel hubs for heat as he always does.

I pulled over and hubby checked but could find nothing wrong at first sight. I kept going to the next exit very slowly. We pulled into a TA and that is when he noticed the rear trailer tire was kind of askew. I called Good Sam Roadside Assistance. While talking to them, I noticed they had a truck repair shop. So I told them we would look into that.

The truck place would not look at it, and told us to go to Camping World, about half a mile away. We limped over to their lot and as we pulled in, the wheel fell off. Hubby retrieved the wheel. Camping World would not fix it either but told us to go across the street to Ernie's Truck Repair. We went there on three wheels.

Ernie said to go to Redneck Parts, 15 minutes away and get an axle. We disconnected the truck and went. Redneck did not have an axle and it would take two weeks to get one in. They also referred us to a place called Ohio Trailer in Columbus as they might help us. I called Good Sam again. Could we have it towed to Ohio Trailer. No, they would not do that. They would tow us to a repair facility, but since we were technically at one, they would not tow us to the right one.

So we drove to Ohio Trailer and they said they could make us an axle. We had to go back to Ernie's and get the axle, which we did. Now this morning, after boondocking at Ernie's, we will go pick up our axle, bring it back to Ernie's, and have it installed.

What could we have done differently? I am beginning to think this Roadside Assistance is not worth renewing. If you are in a strange place, how would you know what facility to get it towed to? It took us three tries to get to Ernie, and two more to get to Ohio Trailer. We travel a lot, so we are very often in a place where we have no idea where to get things fixed.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:58 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Fortunately you were close to a major metro area with various facilities. If you had been 50-100 miles away, and the trailer was not towable that distance, Roadside Assistance would have needed to provide a low-boy trailer to move your trailer. Finally, I would not let them unload the trailer at a repair facility w/o first determining that the facility is capable of making the repair, otherwise it really isn't a 'repair facility'.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:21 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Robin & Astrid
I have to agree with Larry...If you had gotten it to a Ford dealership would that count as a repair facility.??? With that being said, I have to ask if you are Good Sam members...I would assume you are if you have their Road Side Assistance...I would CALL or write Good Sam's ACTION LINE or better yet Marcus Lemonis, and tell your story about Road Side and the lack of assistance...If I were you I would also make sure the other axle did NOT get damaged in the process of limping your camper from facility to facility...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:29 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

That sounds horrible. I'm glad the truck got your attention and it wasn't worse.

Years ago we pulled into camp for New Year and one of our wheels was smoking. I got out and looked at it and the wheel was kicked out at an angle. It was a miracle it hadn't fallen off.

It turned out that I had taken my trailer into the factory (Weekend Warrior) for some warranty service. I figured since they were being so good about the warranty service that I ought to hire them to do some other work that I didn't have time for, so I paid them to re-do all the roof seals, service the axles, and service the brakes. It turned out that they broke a clip on the brakes and evidently the brakes were permanently sprung open.

We were camped way out in the desert and the factory was closed for the holidays, so after our long weekend trip with our friends we packed up as much stuff into the truck and drove home without the trailer. I got ahold of of the factory when they opened up for the new year and told them they needed to send a tow out to my camp and bring the trailer back to Santa's workshop to fix their work. The crew they sent out didn't have any way to field repair the trailer and they didn't have a flatbed. They just tied up the dangling axle and towed it the couple hundred miles back to their shop.

Since all the weight was supported by the one axle and overloaded that axle and tires, I got them to replace both axles and all four wheels & tires.

The whole thing was a mess, but it turned out OK and we were so grateful that the tire hadn't caused a wreck.

I hope yours turns out OK. I'm sorry you're stuck away from home. You'll have a good story to tell when it's all over.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:50 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I should have been more specific. The problem was with the trailer and not the truck. Larry's advice sounds good and I will be calling them when I get home.
Old 04-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
I should have been more specific. The problem was with the trailer and not the truck. Larry's advice sounds good and I will be calling them when I get home.
Yes I understood Larry's point...The point I was trying to make was if the repair facility you first brought it too didn't do the work you needed done it might as well have been a Ford dealership...Point being you weren't getting what you needed done there and should have been towed some place where you could get the work done...Bad analogy I guess...

Ps...I also assumed you had Good Sam Road Side Assistance, I might be in error there also...

In God We Trust
Old 04-07-2016, 11:13 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Yes, we bought it last May for the first time. We are all fixed up and back on the road.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:17 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
Yes, we bought it last May for the first time. We are all fixed up and back on the road.
That's great news. Enjoy the rest of your trip. Safe journey!
Old 04-07-2016, 03:48 PM   #9
Site Team

Not that it could have helped you, but, now in our Document sections is a list of Lippert Plant Locations should anyone need to be serviced on the road. The list is broken down by states.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:57 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Thanks.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:51 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

After hearing your story, I would be sending a lengthy letter to Marcus Lumonis. You are not the first person I have talked to or heard about the quality of his roadside assistance. It always sounds that the roadside assist only wants to change tires and maybe do minor problems. And the people who have had to use them for only that are happy. Anything more than that..........they let the owner figure it out.
Igmire01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:28 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

As soon as we get settled I will be taking some kind of action. We were gone for four months, so there is a lot of work to do - unpacking, cleaning, laundry, etc. I cannot see paying for roadside assistance for just tire changes. This is something hubby can do on his own.

Old 04-10-2016, 05:51 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

I was wondering how the "AAA Plus RV" roadside assistance plan compares to the Good Sam plan. It would sure be nice to have a piece of mind while out on the road.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 08:37 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk1998 View Post
I was wondering how the "AAA Plus RV" roadside assistance plan compares to the Good Sam plan. It would sure be nice to have a piece of mind while out on the road.
Scott
I do not know this as a fact but do not think AAA will tow a camper such as a 5th wheel or travel trailer, because they are not motorized...There are also two roadside plans for auto & RV...Which one you have will determine the level of service you get...With that being said, if I were you (Loneoak) I would be writing Marcus Lemonis as I said in post #3...I think the Roadside operator should have asked what your problem was and called repair facilities that were able to fix your problem which they clearly did not do...

In God We Trust
Old 04-10-2016, 10:27 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjk1998 View Post
I have AAA RV plus and they put my truck and trailer on a roll back. Good that I had it as the tow bill was $1200.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 10:33 AM   #16
Full Time Camper

I checked out the AAA web site, with the AAA Plus RV plan they will tow a motor home, travel trailer, or dual wheeled trailer up to 100 miles. I do not know how the services or prices compare to the other roadside assistance plans out there.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:35 AM   #17
Full Time Camper

Good to know Russ, thank for the post.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #18
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igmire01 View Post
After hearing your story, I would be sending a lengthy letter to Marcus Lumonis. You are not the first person I have talked to or heard about the quality of his roadside assistance. It always sounds that the roadside assist only wants to change tires and maybe do minor problems. And the people who have had to use them for only that are happy. Anything more than that..........they let the owner figure it out.
On the Good Sam forum site (RV.NET) there is a feedback section specifically for Marcus. He and his staff seem pretty responsive to those issues as long as they aren't too ranting. They'll delete your posts if you flame Marcus.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:28 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

We never had the roadside people come out. I only talked to them on the phone. I think Larry's advice was the best, but I will check out the forum when I have time, probably in a few days.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:09 AM   #20
Seasonal Camper

I dropped GS after a similar incident a few years back. They would not tow my tow vehicle 1/2 mile farther to the dealer for repairs that the warranty would cover. Luckily, the tow truck driver did so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote