Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2010, 02:50 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

When leaving for a weekend of camping two weeks ago I noticed the trailer was not tracking right. Sure enough I have a broken spring. It's the left rear axle spring. The tires on that side are now about two inches apart. The spring has come to rest against the frame My dilemma now is trying to get it fixed. My dealer contacted his mobile guy to see if he could fix it here at home on my paved parking spot for the trailer. He is out of town. Another dealer close by said they couldn't do it at my place, so has a couple of close by spring shops that say I would have to tow it in. I have been told to "use some wood and chain to hold the axle in place and tow it to the shop" Ok. Anyone here know how to do this. I assume I would need to pull the axle back to where it belongs. Hence the chain. Where would the wood go exactly? How exactly would I pull the axle back?
Or....what would I need in the way of equipment and tools do do this myself in the driveway and what procedure would I use? I know, a lot of questions but it seems I am stuck. Can't fix it here and no one knows how to get it there. I thank you in advance for your help.

Dan

2007 CF27rl
Dan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:22 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Dan, This is an easy one, You will need to pull the trailers fron tires up on blocks so that the rear tires are off the ground, Remove the ubolt holding the exle and then you can remove and replace your spring. You shouldn't need any thing move than some simple hand tools.

It will help to put your truck in 4 wheel low hetting it up on blocks and I would leave it hooked up to help keep it steady.
gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:26 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Being that I am a DIY, I would drop the jacks, lift the trailer enough to take some weight off that particular side, add addtional jack stands for safety, remove the spring unit by removing the bolts at the shackles and axle, and take the offending spring unit to the shop.

Simply reverse the procedure after the spring unit is repaired.

Kernersville, NC

2011 Ram 4500 SLT 4x4

2005 PF36SK
delqcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

When I did mine on my last TT, I placed blocks under the frame and used a floor jack to hold the weight of the axle up. From there it was just a matter of unbolting everything.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

just to add my 2 cents worth, if you jack the axle up, keep the jack as close to the hub as physically possible so that you don't bend the axle or change the amount of "pre-bend" that the mfg'er has put on the axle.

2004.5 Chevy Duramax crew cab 4x4
2010 Crossroads Cruiser 30QBX
1991 K2500 4x4 being restored
drcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:24 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks for all your replies guys. I was able to get the trailer to a spring shop I didn't know was so close to home. About a kilometer away. As the shop start working on the trailer it was apparent that everything was pretty wore out. Bushings were shot and the shackles and equalizerholes wereoval in shape. He said that the original equipment was barely adequate.Changed all four spring sets for new including an extra mainspring support leaf in each. New bushings, shacles, equalizers, U bolts and bolts and nuts. Should be ok for a while now. The shop owner said that new bushings should be installed at least every two years. Sounds like good advise to me.

Dan

2007 CF27rl
Dan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:51 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Get the wet bolt kit and you can grease your bushings. The kit comes with bronze bushings and bolts with grease fittings. You should get years out of them.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:20 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

On my last trip one of the shackles broke and I had them replaced with the wet bolts and brass bushings. The original ones were just Teflon and were wore out. I will watch my springs but I think they are OK as I do check the U bolts on a regular basis. Glad you got it fixed and did not have a ton of damage.