Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 04:08 PM   #1
New Camper

Bumper Mount Hitch

I have a 2016 Volante 5th Wheel 380MD. I was wondering if I could add a Bumper Mount Hitch for a cargo carrier to carry a 110# Generator. I'm not sure what the weight limit is on the Bumper. Does anyone know what they weight limit is on the Bumper? Just don't want to overload the bumper and bend it, or have it fall off or worse, the generator fall off as we are driving down the road.
curtisj110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

Not sure what a sewer hose weighs, but that's the only weight the bumper was designed for & I wouldn't put anything more on it.
They now have some brackets designed to help beef up the welds, but in my opinion do nothing for the middle of the flimsy bumper. To me it sounds like someone could end up with a 110# hood ornament.
Just my .02 cents worth!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Some friends bought a winnbago tt and we were following them to a park and I had to call them to tell them their EOM spare tire mount was twisting the rear bumper off !!!

We pulled the tire and all we could off and put it in the pickup bed... they CERTAINLY don't make those bumpers like they used to
Old 06-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

If you are putting anything like a bike rack or cargo carrier in the back do this.. couple of eyescrews. (.of curse the configuration for the straps will be different for a carrier. )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rearbikerack004_zps940a6663.jpg (100.0 KB, 34 views)

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:20 PM   #5
Site Team

Just MY OPINION but before I would add more holes to the wall of the camper I would look into a hitch stabilizer/ tightener -Google it. Mine came from etrailer. I have a receiver welded to the frame in 3 places on each side. Overkill? Maybe but it is used for a carrier and power wheelchair total weight around 350 lbs. When the welder put it on he asked how strong do you need this? I asked are you married and have children? He said yes why? I told him your wife and kids are behind me on a very rough road that's how strong it needs to be. I use the hitch stabilizer and it takes all the play -looseness - wobble out. When I move the carrier the trailer moves. Takes less then 2 mins to tighten the stabilizer up and there is no movement between the hitch and carrier.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:20 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Mount-n-lock. I have them. There great. Supposed to add 400Lbs carrying capacity to your bumper after installed.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisj110 View Post
I have a 2016 Volante 5th Wheel 380MD. I was wondering if I could add a Bumper Mount Hitch for a cargo carrier to carry a 110# Generator. I'm not sure what the weight limit is on the Bumper. Does anyone know what they weight limit is on the Bumper? Just don't want to overload the bumper and bend it, or have it fall off or worse, the generator fall off as we are driving down the road.
Welcome to the forum!

Yes an aftermarket hitch could be added. The trouble is that you’ll need to loose the current bumper or the hitch will be super low to the ground and the approach angles will be ugly.

I installed a curt aftermarket rv hitch to my Volante 310bh. I had to ditch the factory bumper. I also relocated the spare under the coach with a BAL underframe tire carrier. I actually tow a second trailer with my setup.

Honestly if you relocate the spare you probably would be okay with the existing bumper.
Vikes79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:03 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Yes welcome to the forum. I wouldn’t carry a generator on the back unless I added the above mount-n-lock supports or added a welded receiver coming off the frame.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:02 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Do not trust the bumper unless you structurally modify it. I have seen bicycles being dragged down the road with bumpers that had failed with bike racks attached to them.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:47 AM   #10
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Mount-n-lock. I have them. There great. Supposed to add 400Lbs carrying capacity to your bumper after installed.
These are the brackets I mentioned.
I think they would be great to beef up the spots the bumper is welded to the frame, but there's still the flimsy metal bumper in the center that these brackets do nothing to help with.
Your best bet is to have a welder fabricate a real bumper with the hitch & all welded to the frame.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #11
Site Team

Fairly simple fix is to insert a steel pipe into the bumper. (the size should be near the interior dimension) Weld at the ends and bolt in the middle. Should be able to stop the flex of the bumper.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 02:45 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Hitch

I went to a local metal supply house bought a thicker steel bumper, had a welder cut off old bumper and weld new one one with gussets on each side, was not really all that expensive. Bought one of the harbor freight carriers and modified that. I put two of the bold on hitches on the bumper and modified the carrier with two tubes instead of the one. Now it slides right on and is sturdy. I carry my 3000w generator on it no problem. Been pretty much all over with it FL to CA and to Montana and no problems. Even made another rack that slides in receivers to carry my cricket golf cart.
shoe2728 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bumper, hitch, mount