Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2021, 06:50 PM   #1
New Camper

Bumper weight

I have a 2019 Sunset Trail ultra light model 291rk. I was looking to attach a generator to the back of the camper using the bumper of course. So i called the dealership today and asked what the weight capacity was for the bumper. He looked it up and said 680Lbs. Any thought on this?
Old 11-20-2021, 08:15 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

That's a lot of weight to have levered off the back of your bumper. I've seen people do it and it must be fine. Id get a bracket specific to support a geny.

I guess it probably also depends on the geny. Mines a 3650 inverter that weighs about 100lbs plus fuel so it's probably around 120 or so..

I'd feel better with it in the back of my truck where I know it's not going to fall off without me noticing.

Currently located between Georgia and Insanity.

007matman AKA Matt
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 04:23 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Purchase Mount n lock safety struts to reinforce the number. https://www.mount-n-lock.com/ Here’s a video to look at. https://youtu.be/779c9D_ov6Y

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 03:29 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathsrider View Post
I have a 2019 Sunset Trail ultra light model 291rk. I was looking to attach a generator to the back of the camper using the bumper of course. So i called the dealership today and asked what the weight capacity was for the bumper. He looked it up and said 680Lbs. Any thought on this?
I think the dealer misunderstood your question, or the way you phrased it was confusing.
The 680# number is, I believe, the TONGUE WEIGHT of your trailer, in other words, that's the amount of weight applied to your hitch (not technically on your bumper, but located below the bumper of your tow vehicle).
Generally speaking, the bumper on your trailer IS NOT DESIGNED TO CARRY EXTRA WEIGHT!!! That doesn't mean that people don't attach things to the bumper of the trailer, but I guarantee that 680# on your trailers' bumper would be a disaster!
I think you need to call back the dealer to clarify your question and his answer!
Gladiator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 02:59 PM   #5
New Camper

We took our 250RB, 2017 to a local welding fabricator. They reinforced the rear bumper and added a trailer hitch. We haul two electric bikes, about 150lbs with bike rack. Works great. Bike rack is extended a bit back to clear the spare tire also mounted on bumper. Have had family follow us and say there is very little movement. Fabricator said they do these upgrades for a local dealer also. $350-400.
Cschanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 03:45 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

I agree with gladiator. These bumpers are not load rated for anything more than the stinky slinky hose. In fact, in most cases mounting anything to them voids the warranty. Even having a fabricator weld supports to the frame creates a bit of a problem. It will solve the problem of supporting the load, but it will introduce a significant “tail sway” problem.

Tony & Lynne
Whidbey Island, WA
2021 Sunset Trail SuperLite SS212RB
2019 Ford F-350 FX-4 Crew cab, 6.2L gas
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 05:22 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I agree with Gladiator on the misquote on bumper weight. I have a spare tire and BBQ rack mounted on mine and believe that is the way it came from the factory so assume that it is ok. The only problem is that the mounting U Bolts crimped the bumper and it is quite difficult to get the stinky slinky to fit properly. Trial and error gets it in and a good shove with a pole gets it out.

Best bet is to get one fabricated at a hitch shop. They should know how much the receiver will hold and set it up to meet and/or exceed your specs.

Be aware that they will probably put on a 2" receiver, the same as the one on the back of your truck, but if it is intended to be a bike/gen. rack unit it will not be able to handle a boat trailer, car hauler, utility trailer etc. unless that was in the specification for the build. This part should be mentioned to anyone buying your trailer in the future as they may not realize the carrying capacity of that hitch.

A fifth wheel trailer may well be designed to haul a heavier tow behind and are engineered for it. I do not know of any bumper pull trailers that have a frame design for that function.