Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2014, 05:15 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Cable VS Satellite Hook up

I have a Zinger 2014 33BH with the exterior Cable/Satellite male connection. I also have the HD antenna on top of the roof. I have used the camper a few times and tried to get the main tv to work but never had any luck with getting good reception from the antenna alone. I am currently parked at a spot where I have access to the park TV Cable connection. So I have hooked up the coax from the park connection point to the exterior port on the left rear of the camper. My problem is between the main TV and another one in the rear bunk I can only get a few channels (5 max). I am wondering if I am missing something. When hooked up to the Exterior cable port does this automatically bypass the antenna or am I still pulling a signal from the antenna? Also looking to go to a satellite dish here soon, am I going to experience the same problems? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Kurt
Old 03-12-2014, 05:25 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I would guess that you still have your antenna amp turned on. Look near the main TV and see if there is a small light on. If there is there is a button there push it to turn it off
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I agree with frank about the amp is turned on. Once that is turned off the cable connection should work fine. If your park has cable you may not need the sat dish unless there are channels you want not provided by the cable company.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:28 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks Both, I will have to try and locate this Amp.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Should ba a toggle switch with a power on light near outlets and cable and sat hook-up. Behind main TV mount area
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:00 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Not sure about the new units, but my rig has sat cable only to the main TV not the bedroom. I had to add a splice near the amp ( I have access to it from the fridge back panel) and now can receiver sat to both TV's. There have been reports of bad cabling so make sure yours are good before troubleshooting further.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Also make sure you change your tv to cable input in the setup menu and re scan for channels

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 04:07 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

cable hookup

Also, be sure to check with you neighbors who are pulling the feed from the RV parks cable, I spent several hours last year at a KOA trying to figure out why the cable signal was so poor. Only to find out that everyone had the same problem. Too weak of a signal trying to be split too many times in the RV park.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:40 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

It Ended up being the Amp was on. I did not see the small button on the electrical outlet Dark cover plate. Thanks Again for all of your help with this.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

We have cable in the park we are at and it came thru very pixilated- no HD on many channels. We've only had this unit for 10 months and in that time we had our Directv Sat account suspended. Our suspension expired so we to had to setup our dish. We had our last 5er for over 6 yrs and could easily set it up ourselves, however after working on the setup for more hrs then I'd care to admit, we could not figure it out. We had to get Directv to come and do an install. It took the tech several hours to finally get the two tvs inside to work independently with separate receivers. He told us he had to use what was there, but it wasn't wired correctly.
We requested a schematic from CR and of course the one we received was not for our Rushmore model. It may as well be in Greek! We are thankfully enjoying Sat tv, but boy was it an effort. It should/could have been so much easier. We're still unsure where the splitter is located, or why we do not have an exterior Sat feed connection and instead, two cable connections in the docking station. The wiring has definitely been installed incorrectly.
2016 High Country SILVERADO 2500HD DURAMAX/Allison
RJHewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:45 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

We have found that the antenna on our Cruiser is pretty useless. It is mounted on the low part of the fifth wheel behind the a/c unit. We are in Florida for the winter so we purchased an antenna at the flea market and attached it (on top of a pole) to the ladder. The wire feeds in through the slide. It picks up the local stations very well. We also have a satellite dish which we brought with us from Canada so we can get the stuff from at home.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote