Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Camper mini fridge vs Full size

Ive noticed many seasonal a have Full size fridges sitting outside if their camper I'm wondering if it's more efficient to run one of those rather than our little camper fridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Zinger Z-1 19BH
Beer, BBQ & Camping
Colvin Cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:55 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I would think it would be more expensive because its larger although a compressor system may be more efficient than an rv system of comparable size. I think people do it for more room to reduce grocery shopping and/or to keep the beer and bait out of the unit. Sorry I don't have a definitive answer for you.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:12 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Just remember fridges are meant to be exposed to extreme temperatures, it throws off the thermostats.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:51 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

RV refrigerators run on ammonia and are far less efficient. They run by heating the ammonia either by gas or electric. There is an age old debate about whether gas or electric is a cheaper way to run the RV refrigerator.

If I had a choice, I'd have a residential refrigerator. I don't do any boon-docking right now and don't plan to do much in the future. The big advantage to an RV fridge is being able to go into the wilderness without plugging in. That is why there is a fresh water tank and battery. When I switched my RV fridge to a residential fridge in one of my trailers, my electric bill was cut in half.

Refrigerators that are outside should be shaded. Being in the sun makes them work harder.

SeanRN is offline   Reply With Quote