Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2020, 05:40 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Camping in Freezing Temps

Can I use my camper, including plumbing system, outside in freezing temps if it has a winterization kit and I keep the interior heated to some degree?

I will be using it in southern Michigan for Sep and Oct. Freezing temps probably won't be frequent or hard, but certainly a possibility. I'll be staying in it a couple days/week during that time. I'll have electrical power available, as well as propane. I would prefer to not have to winterize it during this time; I'd like to continue using the plumbing system.

Thanks in advance.

SE Michigan
Us + 3 girls (14-20) + 1 Golden Retriever
dt5peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:11 PM   #2
Site Team

We lived in our other camper while our house was under construction. Yes it can be done.

This is what we did . #1 keep your furnace on. The water tank and some lines are under the floor so the furnace will help keep them from freezing - HELP not KEEP them from freezing. We tried a portable heater and it kept the inside warm but the furnace would not turn on so we had a little freeze up one morning. If we had a longer cold spell we drained the tank and used water bottles.
#2 the black and gray tanks. If the temp was to fall into the upper 20's for a short time we would pour in some RV antifreeze - A couple gallons per tank. If it got colder than that we would empty both black and gray tanks -Had sewer on site but needed a tote.
#3 we left the bath room vent open a little to help with condensation. also use the stove exhaust when you cook. Helps to remove condensation.
#4 make sure you have LOTS of propane on hand or a nearby source and check your tanks regularly so you will not run out.

Now if you are going to leave it and only use it on weekends - Winterize it.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:18 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the great tips. Good to hear from someone who has done it.

SE Michigan
Old 08-31-2020, 07:26 PM   #4
Site Team

We have gone every fall from about mid Sept. to mid Oct.

It has gotten down to low twenty's at night on occasion.
Like dagst1 said you can't walk away from it for a very long with out winterizing.
Other wise it should work for you if you run the furnace on cold snaps to protect the lines and such.
It's a great time of the year to be out there. Enjoy.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:53 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Love it when you guys start talking about winterizing. It was 99 here in San Antonio today. Must mean cooler temps are on the way!!
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 03:22 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Winter RVing

We often go winter camping in Nov/Dec here in Washington State. The biggest challenge you’re going to have is water supply lines. I recommend filling your fresh water tank and running off that if possible. Refill as needed. If you’ll be on city water and the temps are below freezing, use heat tape from the supply valve to your RV with pipe insulation wrapped around it. Follow dags advice for grey/black water valve positions. We have an attic package in our new rig now with heated under Belly and the valves inside the heated space. If you have a similar extreme weather package, you should be fine short term. Leaving cabinet doors open id also very helpful to keep plumbing lines warmer.
And like Dags mentioned, do all you can to keep condemnation under control. Have fun!
Tonyg2724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:36 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I mooch-docked in N. Carolina and it got to 16 degrees 2 nights in a row and never got above freezing for 58 hours. I had no problems, I ran my central heat on 72 and all was good. My only issue was my outside fridge, everything in it froze and 7 cans of beer burst. It was one of the worst days of my life lol! I did leave the window by the thermostat open so it kicked on often.

2018 Sunset Trail SS262BH with 72 mods
2019 RAM 3500 Laramie 4x4 SRW SB
6.7 HO, Aisin trans
CobaltPaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:48 PM   #8
New Camper

Hi there,

Winterization kit is only for winterizing it for storage, not actually using the trailer in winter.

Not sure of your model, but if it has an enclosed underbelly -- and vents some of the furnace output there -- as long as you use the furnace often enough it will help keep the piping and tanks from freezing.

If your underbelly is not enclosed, you are out of luck, sorry!
RVHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 04:55 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Thanks!

Thanks all for the responses. We'll use those tips to hopefully enjoy our time without any freezing problems.

SE Michigan
Old 09-06-2020, 08:17 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

We were prepared and lucky.

We endured the Atlas Storm and then the temperatures dropped to 8º F. We were at 8,000' ASL and it snowed on and off for over 24 hours. At lower elevations, cattle drowned in the snow.
During the night and throughout the storm we ran an Electric Heater in the kitchen and basement. Furnace and Water Heater were "ON" and running. Water hooked up and trickling down the kitchen sink and the Grey Tank Gate Open. Drained the freshwater tank. We closed the black water gate and filled the tank to 50%.
We had no tank heaters but had an electric fan stationed at a floor heating duct to keep warm are traveling through the duct work located in the enclosed belly and near the black and grey tanks.
The heated mattress was heavily employed.
We purchased extra fuel for the 30-amp generator but surprisingly we did not lose power. At that time heavy limbs or trees falling on the power lines was a common happening in Yellowstone NP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YNP SITE 12 ATLAS STORM .jpg (227.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 09-07-2020, 09:07 AM   #11
Weekend Camper

Do a quick search here, many good suggestions. https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...4dUDCA0&uact=5
stetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:00 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

I use my camper(2013 Z-1 291RL enclosed underbelly) every year for the first week of Deer season here in PA First week of December. it gets below freezing at night.

Only problem I ever had was last year on last morning the line from the water holding tank to the water pump froze I'm going to rig up some heat tape on that line for this years hunt.

Another thing Im definitely going to do this year is get a RV Dehumidifier, when it's cold outside the heat inside makes a lot condensation on the inside of the windows,also am going to put a stick on electric heated tank blanket on the bottom of the fresh water tank

Another thing I did was change the thin wood covers at the hot water heater and water pump inside the camper,I used that thin brass colored decorative open grate metal that is used to cover the front of the old home hot water radiators I just helps to put a little heat in those two areas.