Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2020, 10:54 AM   #1
New Camper

Can i replace jenson sound system with something else

The Jenson sound system is flaky and poor sound . Can I replace this unit?
Geesah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:14 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

you can certainly replace/ upgrade your sound system. However, you may want to try replacing your speakers first. Like most everything else, your only as strong as your weakest link, and In the case of a simple car/boat/rv sound system (one without external amplifiers or sound processors) your speakers are the typical culprit.
It may be as simple as they way they are mounted. To produce a full, rich sound, nearly all speakers will need some sort of enclosure behind them to stiffen the suspension, whether it is a high powered or low powered unit, even a simple foam baffle makes a huge difference in the sound a speaker produces vs a speaker with wide open space behind it. (theres a reason speakers are mounted in boxes).
In addition, the speakers will be less costly to replace first.
I have been involved in car stereo for over 30 years, and at one point owned an installation business. I can recall very few occasions where the source unit was the actual cause of a poor sounding system, and those were of the poorest quality brands, at the absolute lowest pricepoint. Tech has changed throughout the years, and although there are still a few brands that I would consider of questionable value out there, I put their dependability in question over their sound quality. Heck, Blaupunkt makes a multimedia car stereo you can get for $10 that gets great reviews..!
Anyway, sorry for the long read, but I would consider looking at your speakers before replacing the stereo itself.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:58 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I agree that the speakers supplied by the manufacture are poor, but connecting better speakers to a Jensen is like trying to polish a turd. I'd like to replace mine because of poor sound, hiss, buzzing, and sometimes coming on in the middle of the night (happened twice). But I haven't found anything with the same functionality & size format that will work on 12V.

2003 GM 2500HD 8.1/A
drzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I would agree with that statement. In your case it sounds like the source is the culprit.
As I stated above, your only as strong as your weakest link.
I replaced my stereo with a double-din car stereo model, and added a 110v to 12v converter to the power inputs. The old receiver was a home stereo model, on a shelf under the TV cabinet. If my shore power cuts out, the system automatically turns itself back on. (presets stations are lost, as well as time) Never really bothered me, because typically you need new stations locked in when you travel anyway.
Post your stereo model # here, I'm sure there would be a replacement 12v unit that would fit the bill. Most days I'm up extremely early, and do alot of web surfing. I may just come across something that may work for you.
Old 08-13-2020, 05:32 PM   #5
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzaius View Post
I agree that the speakers supplied by the manufacture are poor, but connecting better speakers to a Jensen is like trying to polish a turd. I'd like to replace mine because of poor sound, hiss, buzzing, and sometimes coming on in the middle of the night (happened twice). But I haven't found anything with the same functionality & size format that will work on 12V.
You mentioned coming in the middle of the night & we had the same issue with a Jensen tv. After the couple weeks it started coming on nightly at 2am at full volume, that'll make you soil yourself, after a couple nights we unplugged the tv. Dealer reimbursed us to replace with a tv of our choice.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:08 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrizz View Post
I would agree with that statement. In your case it sounds like the source is the culprit.
I know it's not the source, because the high noise floor is there whether the source is a laptop, Blu-Ray player, or a mobile device. I need something that has multiple inputs, can select which of 3 sets of speakers to play to, and that has a footprint equal to or smaller than the Jensen. Whether it's 12V or 120V doesn't matter much because that's an easy thing to adapt.

I may end up going with a small AV receiver & modifying the cabinet to suit.

2003 GM 2500HD 8.1/A
Old 08-14-2020, 02:39 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

If you are inputting all of those into the Jensen, and the problem is there for all, the issue is constant, it stands to reason the problem is likely with the Jensen.(your primary source).
Another probability (although not very likely) would be a ground issue. From the problem you describe, I would look towards a grounded speaker lead.
Rrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:41 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Although I cant imagine why it would turn on by itself....
Old 08-14-2020, 07:45 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrizz View Post
Although I cant imagine why it would turn on by itself....
That one is a mystery that thankfully hasn't happened for a few years now. The last time was when the fifth wheel was parked in front of my house. Doorbell rings at 2:30 AM. It's the neighbor from across the street who has been kept awake for the last hour because the radio is blaring away & the outside speakers were on. That was embarrassing.

Sorry for the hijack, OP

2003 GM 2500HD 8.1/A
Old 08-14-2020, 10:31 AM   #10
Site Team

Here's a article that may help.

https://www.lifewire.com/fix-tv-turn...itself-4685838

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jenson