Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2019, 08:54 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Caulking ?

What type of Caulking is used around the rubber roof and that rain catching lip that also holds down the rubber roof. I have a few spots where the caulking is become poor. I'm not to big on silicone and in being in Canada I'm thinking I'll have to order something correct.. Thank You ahead of time to those who can steer me in the right direction..
Old 05-08-2019, 09:13 AM   #2
Site Team

Dicor lap sealant on the sides, and Dicor self leveling on the roof.

Make sure to dig the old out first. Then clean the area with rubbing alcohol.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
Dicor lap sealant on the sides, and Dicor self leveling on the roof.

Make sure to dig the old out first. Then clean the area with rubbing alcohol.
X2 on that advice.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:07 AM   #4
Site Team

That Dicor is good stuff. And as Lloyd stated make sure you clean all the old out then clean the area good before you apply the Dicor.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 06:38 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Thanks guys, was able to order through Amazon Canada. So hope it gets shipped as freight seemed to be an issue with a few other sellers, was told because of chemical restrictions.. I also visited the 3 trailer sales and services in my small local city and none stocked Dicor, actually all were willing to sell and recommend silicone. Lets just say I wasn't really looking to create another issue down the road but attend the problem at hand. I rather hate silicone at the best of times !!
Old 05-12-2019, 08:40 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Silicone would have been a huge mistake.

2003 GM 2500HD 8.1/A
drzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 08:53 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

caulking

I too am going to do my first caulking job. It will be around my shower skylight and plan on trying Dicor (their website is terrible). So, what does it mean in some of your responses saying "dig out the old first"? There is quite a bit of wavy caulk up there now with cracks or small openings in only a few places that I want to maintain. How much do I dig out? I hope I don't have to completely remove "all" the old caulking! I thought you were able to go over the old caulking and the self-leveling would fill in the gaps?
Same question when caulking on the sides around windows, vents, doors etc. There are places where the caulking is in very good shape then all of a sudden cracked or missing caulk. Can I clean it up the bad as best I can and run the new bead right up to the old bead that is good shape?

Thanks
Brian
2017 Ram 2500
6.4 L Hemi
BLtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Accounting “RV Geeks” on YouTube you can just apply the new Dicor directly over the old as long as you clean it first with mineral spirits. If you have a rubber roof just take care not to soak the roof with the mineral spirits. Apply the spirits to a rag and use sparingly. See their YouTube channel for their video if you have any questions.
NEVER2LATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 12:29 PM   #9
Site Team

Like previously stated, clean the seal leveling with either mineral spirits, or rubbing alcohol. I prefer the rubbing alcohol as it seems to evaporate quicker. Then you can just apply the dicor over the top.

On the the side caulk, that is the way I do it. The next year the patch you left this year will probably be ready to dig out and redo. It's a never ending battle.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:23 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Got my Dicor non-sag roof lap sealant that I used to reseal the side area where the TPO roofing membrane meets the rain/gutter area. Good stuff and I might add, a tad sticky. Thankfully I've had a fair bit of experience with a caulking gun, but not a master by any means, but it did turn out very well.. I did find that lacquer thinner will work to clean up your metal gutter and finger if necessary !! ''DO NOT USE LACQUER ON YOUR ROOF MEMBRANE'' I'm only referring to using lacquer thinner for clean-up on the black metal and the black rubber part on the gutter that hides the screws after you finished the caulking. Just incase you might have a few tiny clean up spots. I did try soap and water, and varsole paint thinner on my hand/fingers first but those never touched this caulking. BUT I would be very scared of what lacquer might do to the roof membrane so be careful as to what you rub lacquer onto. Another question is how long has anyone kept the left over tube of caulking for or will it dry out no matter how well we try to seal them up ??