Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2017, 07:09 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Caulking Question

Does anyone know what type of caulk crossroads use on their trim. I am resealing mine and using Pro Flex. On some of the trim I can get all the old caulk off. However on some I can get it all off the Fiberglass and cleaned up really well, but there is some left under the trim that cannot be gotten to. Wondering if the Pro Flex will still stick to it ok.

shoe2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
Site Team

I'm not 100% sure, but I thought CR used di-cor lap sealant.
They claim silicone won't stick to it's self. I get as much off/out as I can. Then wipe the area down good with denatured alcohol, and apply my sealant.
I have resigned myself to the fact that every year I will have to redo some areas because of cracking. They use to say (and some still do) you have to use what the factory uses or it will crack and separate. Well guess what---if what the factory uses is so great, how come we have to redo it?

This is what I use, and have for years.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Marine-Gra...licone+sealant
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #3
Site Team

After posting the other day, I thought I better do some checking on our rig.
I checked and re caulked before our trip in May. I figured to re check again after we got back home, but we have been pretty busy with storm clean up plus it's been so darn hot and muggy that I just haven't had the gumption to tackle it.
Nice and cool here this morning so I started looking. Sure enough, those wonderful roads we bounced over for 3500 mi. took it's toll. Been digging old cracked caulk out all morning. Not done yet. I think the re caulking will be another day.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:55 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Lloyd on our new unit the first thing I did was to cover every seam with Enterbond tape After I applied on the last unit it saved a lot of problems, plus I only have to get up on the roof once a year
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #5
Site Team

Frank, I'm re doing chalk on the side walls. I have the street side and front finished.
The roof has one suspect screw head I will have to cover. Everything else looks good.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

The new unit has those framless windows they say they do not need to be caulked time will tell just got to keep an eye on them
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
Old 07-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #7
Site Team

A fellow camper with the new frame-less windows lost it on the way to our rally. Not convinced that's the way to go yet.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 04:33 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

On the Sunset Trails the caulk around windows and trim is clear Proflex. It works great when properly applied. Had a window leak on our 6 month old 289qb close inspection found the factory left a 1 inch gap on top of one of the bunk room windows.
tott9713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 07:02 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhenn View Post
Lloyd on our new unit the first thing I did was to cover every seam with Enterbond tape After I applied on the last unit it saved a lot of problems, plus I only have to get up on the roof once a year
Well Frank I finished the caulk job yesterday. Today I tackled the old eternabond tape.
Quite a few years back I ran 4in. eternabond on the front where the cap meets the roof membrane. Lapping half onto each. Well where the tape came down over the edges/corner it didn't lay very good. So I smoothed it out and cut the ripples out like they instructed. Didn't like the looks of it so went over the corner with a short strip to cover and seal those ripples I had cut out.
I noticed that the patch has started lifting so today I went up and removed it. They say you can't remove that tape, but if you're careful and take your time it can be done. I liken it to skinning a deer that you let hang for a day or two. There was quite a bit of the gooey sticky bottom part of the tape left tho. I got that off also. That was like fleshing a beaver pelt.
Long story short--I have it cleaned up and a new better looking patch on the corner.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:20 PM   #10
Full Time Camper