Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2020, 01:26 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Caulking question, sides, etc

Can someome suggest a good caulking or recommendation for vertical sides, Let me explain. There are several areas I see the same caulking, it's kinda yellowish/clear or maybe it's yellowish to matches the side, it's hard and can be dented with the fingernail almost like a pl200 adhesive after it's dried out and hard, and nothing rubbery like silicone (which I hate). It also was used to seal all the vertical corners and where the fiberglass cap meets the fiberglass/vinyl side and where they caulk over the buttyl tape under the flashing. I do have a couple spots where Silicone has been aplied by the previous owner, which I'm going to remove and then recaulk, even if I need to lightly wire wheel or sand those edges to get a new bond as there cracked and need sealing. Has anyone ever used a quality LATEX CAULKING on some of those vertical flashings? I know Silicone is a mistake, as you can't even silicone over silicone. But at least Latex is re-do-able, It's winter and snow on the ground but can order the right stuff now so I have it for early spring for hopefully April, or maybe find some in the big city as were going there in the morning...
Old 02-09-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Dicor lap sealant for the sides.
Dicor self leveling for the roof.
https://www.amazon.com/Dicor-501LSW-.../dp/B00G6KGPFM

You should be able to buy it locally at a dealer.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:07 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I had to replace the Kantleak valve at back of trailer. I noticed that the outdoor shower box had cracked silicone as well.
I did ask at RV repair place and they said silicone to go around the fixtures was fine.
So that is what I did. I've had experience with a silicone called Flex 9000. It never hardens and can stretch beyond belief. I used to install it on grain pipes in seed plants and elevators. It will just never wear off or out.
Just apply it very thin bead and smooth out with wet finger. As it comes out thicker than normal silicone and is basically pliable rubber.
Airborne Elite Sidewinder pin, Maxx air 7500 Fan
2015 GMC LTZ,6.2 Gas, Short Box, Firestone F3 air ride.
Bilstein Shocks
Miniozzy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 02:01 PM   #4
Site Team

IMHO, silicone is not for rv's. There are 2 problems with silicone.
1. It will break down and fail to seal anymore.

2. Once you've applied silicone caulking, nothing, not even more silicone caulking will adhere to it so you'll never get it sealed again.

Should you have to replace or remove that shower box for repairs, it will be very difficult to remove. In fact, the correct product to use for that box is butyl putty tape followed by a non-silicone sealant.

But to each their own. But no silicone on my RV.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:37 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

There are many polyurethane caulks out there that will work extremely well in almost any situation. Its all we use commercially. (I'm in construction). For a clear caulk, I strictly use Lexel. It is NOT silicone, its a synthetic rubber.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:05 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
IMHO, silicone is not for rv's. There are 2 problems with silicone.
1. It will break down and fail to seal anymore.

2. Once you've applied silicone caulking, nothing, not even more silicone caulking will adhere to it so you'll never get it sealed again.

Should you have to replace or remove that shower box for repairs, it will be very difficult to remove. In fact, the correct product to use for that box is butyl putty tape followed by a non-silicone sealant.

But to each their own. But no silicone on my RV.
100% on.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:14 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I watched a ton of Utubes, reviews and other opinions. Unfortunately I couldn't find any Dicor in clear or black, and white wasn't an option so that was shuffled out of the equation. Polyeurathane sealant soon got my attention and after more research realized there's a ton of them and brands everywhere, and used a few varieties in the past. I ended up ordering Proflex-RV clear. But yesterday when in my local city I did find 2 other highly recommended brand that I believe would also have worked very well, but well leave that for maybe the next next time. My next first challenge will be re-caulking where silicone once was that again looks like it might leak, and if need be will buff it off with a Dremel tool and reseal. Thank the lord there's only maybe 8 feet total, but more than I ever want to see again in my life. Knowing what I know today is Silicone should be banned from the face of the earth, complete garbage...
Old 02-13-2020, 12:55 PM   #8
Site Team

Denatured alcohol helps to get rid of the silicone caulk. I have also used "Goo Gone". I used a plastic scraper knife.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:50 PM   #9
Site Team

I some times get pretty aggressive when I'm rechaulking and the chalk is tough to get out.
I have one of these I use at times.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:35 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

''Alcohol'', yea I'll be trying that everywhere actually, and not in the drinking form like the good old days 17 years ago, lol. But I did get out today to weigh in on the situation and get a second look at what lies ahead. I see I have a little mess in my favor as the small area's silicon ed, were directly caulked over the top of the original sealant. SO I think with some warmer temps, a ton of elbow grease, silicone remover, WD-40, alcohol, and every other attainable ideal or option. I should be able to get this Polyurethane sealant to make a bead. From what I see after everything else is removed, and took some 600 grit wetsand paper up 1/4 inch both directions from the caulked edge it should make enough of a scour to create adhesion. Then that 1/4'' would be hid by the bead. There was a time I also thought silicone was a good product until last fall when I found out it didn't stick to aluminum, or itself. Now you couldn't give me that crap. I was always told if there's a will, there's a way, and if there is, I should be stubborn enough to find it.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:07 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

If you can get the silicone thin then brake kleen will wrinkle it up. But test it on the paint somewhere first. Don't spray it on vinyl of any kind. Or EPDM

** I use it on axle stubs and hubs to remove the silicone that previous techs have installed wheel seals with. After it wrinkles, it will come off.**
Bilstein Shocks
Old 02-14-2020, 06:24 PM   #12
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniozzy3 View Post
If you can get the silicone thin then brake kleen will wrinkle it up. But test it on the paint somewhere first. Don't spray it on vinyl of any kind. Or EPDM

** I use it on axle stubs and hubs to remove the silicone that previous techs have installed wheel seals with. After it wrinkles, it will come off.**
Whomever is using silicone on the grease seals on any vehicle I would NEVER call them a "tech" but rather a "huge knucklehead" that knows absolutely nothing about what they're doing & they would NEVER EVER touch anything mechanical of mine again.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:48 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Used to be a common practice in the trucking industry. Some shops use silicone to install the seal in hub, and wear ring on stub.
I have never used anything but permatex, it doesn't absorb oil or grease.

However we send alot of units to the ice roads and what happens up there is whatever it take to keep it moving.
Bilstein Shocks