Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2010, 12:05 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Ok, as I posted in the thread about upgrading the underbelly my 2009 has a unwanted winter guest and it appears to be a chipmunk. I think I know how he got it, through the rear frame bulkhead holes.

Now I am trying to catch him with no luck. It seems he followed the underbelly into two places. One is the front pass-thru becuase of the heat duct run up from under the trailer. The second is the water pump hole in the inside of a cabinet. He left acorns and poop in these areas.

I have set some traps rat traps but he ate the peanut butter off them!!!! They didn't go off so I tested one with a stick today and with a slight touch it went "SLAP!" and set off like it should.

Any suggestions on catching my fury friend? I know I will need to use the shop vac to clean the trailer and I plan on using some lysol cleaners to ensure we don't get sick from his stay. Any other assistance? Would a Have-a-Heart trap work better?
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:14 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Tiea whole cashew to the bait tab with a thin wire. That will be worth dieing for.
https://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l2...ckcropped2.jpg
BDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

give this a try http://www.ehow.com/video_4871754_catch-squirrel.html
Old 04-08-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

We had chipmunks everywhere at our first house and the only way we found to control them was to use a cage style trap. We would bait it with peanut butter then stick cashews or peanuts into the peanut butter. The chipmunks would run in and when they tried to get the nuts out of the peanut butter it would be enough to trip the mechanism and close the trap.

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:51 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Thanks - the snap trap isn't working so a actial have-a-heart trap is starting to sound like the answer. The link provided also suggest this trap.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:24 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to csham
I have not tried this yet...
A 5 gallon bucket about 1/3 full of water. Float enough sunflower or bird seed on the top so that it looks dry. Place a board up to the rim, add a trail of bait, and wait. My neighbor and some of my coworkers say they have had great success with it. They haven't found a chipmunk that could swim yet .

Samantha (8/97), Tara (6/03), Erica (1/07)

2008 Dodge Ram 1500

2007 Sunset Trail ST30BH

https://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...H-campsite.jpg
csham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Well after nearly a week I have figured out:

A) The chipmunks used the trailer to store the acorns, it appears they may have ate a few but mostly for storage.

B) A mouse family moved in, and they have all been eliminated. I have setup professional glue traps just in case.

C) There are way to many darn holes in the trailer. Some of them are just silly. For example, a 4" x 4" square hole cut out for 3 water lines...Or how about the 3" hole for 2 propane lines under the fridge/furnace...Or how about the 6 holes in the rear bulkhead frame....

D) Steel wool and expanding spray foam is my friend.

E) The way they enter the front pass-thru is a 3" hole in the steel framing behind the battery box that enters the underbelly.

So everyone needs to take some time and check out their own trailers if you want to avoid my situation!