Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2009, 12:58 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I amwanting to know how do I keep the chrome lug nuts and hub caps from rusting?

The 5er we have had since May and the edge of the lug nuts have rust on them and I have waxed them.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:29 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Good question. I have tried wax, polish and nothing seems to work. When shops use their air guns it scratches and chips the lug nuts causing them to rust. The caps are just cheap with a thin coat of chrome. I replaced my caps with better ones and they still are showing signs of rust. Maybe I will paint them.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 02:10 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I changed all mine McGuard makes a product called "tuff Nuts" they are stainless steel lug nuts I replaced all mine when I got the 5er and never had a problem with them, I will assume they still make the product if not any mag wheel company will offer stainless steel lug nuts

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:29 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

spray wd 40 on them do not wipe off

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 06:30 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

mbinohio, thanks the stainless steel lug nuts sounds like something I will need tolook at.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

fhenn, wd 40 will work I know it is good stuff because a friend use to get pain in back of his hands he said, it was ol' arthur and would spray the back of his hand with wd 40 said that will take care of the pain for awhile.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:50 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Yep most people forget that it was developed in WW2 for the Army to prevent rust in the weapons

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

If I remember correctly wd 40 will also release moisture to prevent rusting underneath the wd 40, when we cover parts with oilthe parts can rust under the oil if moisture is under the oil. I do not remember what the name of another product is but it was developed in recent years like wd 40 but for a longerlife and it was used on dies and tooling for long term storage.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

I think there is another product out there if I recall it was develop for the computer Industry for high moisture areas. I first used WD 40 in 1966 after my friends and neighbors sent me to a wonderful place to have fun. While I was there they took away my fantastic M14 and issued the AR16 (POS) The only way you could keep it action, was to clean and use WD 40 That help a lot until you suddenly had to use it. That ia another story we will not go into

Old 09-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

When I was in the tool and die we had to store this type of metal that would rust in controlled conditions we would use wd 40 for the short time and for several months and longer we would use the other product, the only reason I am thinking about the other product is that it may stay on the lug nut longer. I will try and see if someone that can remember the product.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:55 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Is it cosmolin?
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:23 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Naw, you can never forget that stuff

Old 10-01-2009, 12:12 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

You may be thinking of cozmolean Not sure of the spelling but its phonics spelling
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:33 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

fhenn, "Nae you can never forget that stuff" a few years back you would have called it correct. In fact,I was told one time I was not paid to forget,after that I never forgot. I may have misplaced something. Now at my age I forget.

No, I don't think it was cozmolean I am not sure of the spelling either. If I remimber it was not that thick. I will try and find out. I don't know about you guysbut to me lifehas sure great, have a great day.