Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Concerned new Fifth wheel owners

We purchased a new 2015 Franklin last September and the dealer offered to store it for us over winter(very nice offer). We are so anxious to pick it up next month. In the mean time we have been researching lots of things that "newbies" need to learn and know. In that process I have come across so much negativity about CrossRoads, their warranty, products, service, poor workmanship etc, etc, that I am wondering if we totally screwed up in our "out of the shute" first RV purchase. Does anyone have good things to say about the company, their service and (closer to home) the beautiful front bedroom Franklin?
Hooknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
Site Team

From my experience here on the forum, you really don't have a lot of people post on this forum how great their rv is. Usually, and you can check out other rv forums, you get the complaints and problems they are having with their rv and question about solving a problem.
I personally never had a warranty problem but I know others have. As far as service, that differs from dealer to dealer and is basically a all brand issue.
Poor workmanship is common through out the industry when the goal is to push the product out as fast as possible.
I would feel comfortable in buying another Crossroad product based on my experience with my present rv.
I'm sure others will have varied opinions.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 01:01 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Thanks Mark5w, I also know that generally, folks write to complain but very few write to compliment. We do understand that anything (vehicles, appliances, clothing, and yes even surgeries) can have issues and are prepared for that so your response helped reassure us that we weren't foolish in our purchase.
Old 02-26-2017, 03:35 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

No matter what brand you purchase there will be issues. As mark5w said, most of those on forums join to resolve issues or complain. But forums are a great place to find resolutions for whatever problem you have.
We bought a Crossroads because we did our homework and realized there aren't many better unless you drop tons of money on one. Plus, Crossroads is affordable. As with any RV, boat or anything used for recreation there will be plenty of times you have to dump money into it. It comes with being an RVer. If you aren't handy or a diy person, learn fast. You will find that a big majority of things you can take care of yourself.
Don't despair or get worked up over it. Get excited, make plans for some great road trips and enjoy the heck out of. And don't forget, when you get out on the road there are millions of RVers out there willing to help fellow travelers.

2016 Crossroads 291 RL Z-1
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi Outdoorsman
www.wildlifeupclose.com
moore_rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 04:24 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Thanks Moore Rvrs! I appreciate your comments. I am pretty handy and look forward to "taking care of things". Regarding your comments about being excited and making plans - both my wife and I are "all in". I just had read too many bad reviews on the internet and wanted some real owners that are enjoying their RVs and could put some balance to the negativity. Thanks for providing both.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:32 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

2016 Crossroads 291 RL Z-1
2015 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi Outdoorsman
www.wildlifeupclose.com
moore_rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 06:03 PM   #7
Site Team

Congratulations! Welcome to the forum!

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:24 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Congratulations. We have only had minor issues that with the help of this forum were able to fix ourselves.

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Smile

I have the same model as you 2015 Franklin. I had an issue about a month after I picked mine up, the converter failed and took out much of the electrical in my trailer, electric on the fridge, both a/c units, fireplace, microwave, and washing machine. Crossroads took care of everything except the washing machine because that was dealer installed option. Then a week before the warranty was about to expire the next year, on a 1000 mile trip I notice wrinkling on the roof. I called Crossroads and they gave me the names of several repair places nearby. I left it at one who couldn't come to an agreement with Crossroads on the price of the repair. Crossroads found another repair place down the road who would repair it for what they could agree on. It was done nicely and its not a year and half since then and no more problems. Oh and the washer I had a hard time finding someone to fix it, so I called Splendide and they talked me through diagnosing it and they sent me all the repair parts for free. I am satisfied, I wish the warranty was longer but I did end up purchasing an extended warranty, but the more I learn about the trailer the less I think I would need it. Oh we did have tearing in the material of the recliners, those were replaced under warranty too. We are very happy with the trailer unfortunately I shattered my heel last may and haven't been able to use it since, hopefully soon though.

Steve
2007 Harley FLHTCUI
shartflhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

Thanks DavisK! We are happy and excited to be here!
Old 02-26-2017, 08:20 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Thanks Cowboy_71 for the info. Good news.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

shartflhs, great to hear from someone with the same model of RV that we have. We don't have the extended warranty but will think about that. On the advice of our dealer, we are camping our first couple days in a park near the dealership in case we notice anything that isn't right. Then we are heading to the southern Blackhills in SD. We are starting construction on our summer home there and the winters will be rolling around the country visiting family and friends. Very excited to get this party started
Old 02-26-2017, 08:41 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

We are at the end of a 6 week trip in our newly acquired 08 Cruiser. We are VERY happy with it! The 2002 Keystone product that we had for 11 years served us well, but the workmanship in the Cruiser is FAR better. So much better insulated, easier to pull, interior work is real oak, and the furnace is much quieter. We've done a lot of little modifications this month to make it more suitable to our particular needs, which you will probably wish to do also.

2008 29CK
Old 02-26-2017, 09:01 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Mmorris thanks for that info. Good to hear from you.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:41 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooknroll View Post
shartflhs, great to hear from someone with the same model of RV that we have. We don't have the extended warranty but will think about that. On the advice of our dealer, we are camping our first couple days in a park near the dealership in case we notice anything that isn't right. Then we are heading to the southern Blackhills in SD. We are starting construction on our summer home there and the winters will be rolling around the country visiting family and friends. Very excited to get this party started
1. Sounds like you have an amazingly good dealer. Most of them would prefer to never see you again unless you are going to buy another unit and aren't particularly knowledgeable and helpful before you hand them the check.

2. The Black Hills is a fabulous place. We spent a week there on the way to Yellowstone last fall.

3. We've previously had reasonably "high end" 5'ers and although they were more luxurious, the build was not noticeably better than our little Cruiser Aire.

4. That said, an RV owner that likes to tinker will be a happier camper.

5. Welcome and enjoy!
Old 02-27-2017, 11:18 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Thanks stormseeker, yes we have a fantastic dealer, family owned and a business plan of "customer first". Just spoke with him last week and he is checking in to re-keying the cargo doors and entry. I am a sailor as well and really do enjoy custom fitting the boat as I plan to with the new RV. We have been through the Bhills several times and when my wife retired last summer we just decided to start an entire new adventure - so excited. Thanks for thoughts and input!
Old 02-27-2017, 05:09 PM   #17
Full Time Camper

Congrats on your new home on wheels. Been in our Rushmore for four years now. Fulltimers. But not dragging it around yet, still a few years to go before retirement. Yes, we have had plenty of issues. Have taken care of most of the issues myself. We love our Jefferson. Now that the problems are gone. If you would like to chat. Would be happy to help you out any time.
Gary
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:38 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

Bot 2011 crossroads 27' RLX 5th wheel new. List of problems is long, but I'll try to make if short. On 3rd a/c, 2 nd fridge and still doesn't work on gas, bot new tires after 5k miles d/t blowout. Tv antenna has never worked, replaced inverter, black water valve is so stiff, don't know if it will open next time we use rv. Crossroads doesn't have any fender replacement d/t blowout, had to buy from private manuf. $200 for a $30 part. Many smaller things. Get extended warranty, well worth it.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 06:07 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

Ramn4ver, Thanks for your candid comments. I will definitely take you up on your offer for consultation. I'm sure I will have those moments. We will be living in our RV while our house is being built and then this fall will hit the road. So I'm sure we will get acclimated before we add in the highway.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:16 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

Thank you very much for your recap of a whole boat load of troubles. I will definitely figure in the extended warranty. Do you have any thoughts regarding the tires why they blew? That is one of my biggest concerns, I have been pulling my sailboat down the road late night when sparks lit up the rear view mirror and I wrestled the whole thing to a decent stop but the tire and rim went screaming by me and I really don't want that to happen ever again.