Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2015, 08:18 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Converter fan question

As some may no I recently purchased a new '15 zinger first new camper, my last one I bought used was a 97 trail lite ultra lite it was 30 ft.
So on with my question both are 30 amp units in the several years I owned the unit I NEVER had or heard a cooling fan on its converter. Are the new ones just made cheaper? With no heat sinks and low cost fans, I'm just looking for opinions here as it's just odd to me. I won't pretend to know much but I am wondering what that fan looks like how assessable is it anyone attempted putting a larger (ie..slower quieter) fan on the units. I also go camping with many friends and relatives some with newer but not brand new and some with older campers I just never noticed any fan noise in theirs either of various brands/models. My fan kicks on with just two rooms lights on plugged into shore power.
Thanks in advance
4 way Equalizer WDH
Hightech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:26 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I can hear mine. More lights or power the louder it gets. Can't speak to older units. Maybe the converter was located different or somehow more soundproof?

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:29 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

The fans are cooling the converter. Converters have had fans for many years and the more 12v lights you have on the faster it spins (up to a point). You can convert to LED bulbs and cut down or eliminate the fan noise. I converted all my lights to LED and I have not heard the fan since. Don't know if there are converters without fans but if your friends RV's have LED bulbs that may be why you didn't here the fan.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

sure wish I had taken a closer look at my old converter, it was in the kitchen area similar to my new one, just never no matter how many lights I had on made any noise, I guess I will take a closer look at the new one and see if possible to install a larger quieter fan, anyone know if they are 12v if so Im sure I have some computer fans sitting around I could wire in that are silent. I work in the IT industry and it is common to use larger fans to have less noise, for example a 1U server will have little fans and sound like a jet engine taking off compared to a 2U or larger with bigger fans moving more air with less noise.
4 way Equalizer WDH
Old 03-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #5
Site Team

My fan use to runs on the converter just like others have stated.
Like Stan, I converted to all LED lights quite some time back. Now with just the lights on, I never hear the fan.
You might want to check into The LED lights. Could end up being a lot easier to remedy your fan noise rather then tying into that converter.

Seeing as your rig is a 2015 maybe you should have your dealer check it out to see if there is a problem with your converter.
Seems odd that it would be loud enough to bother.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

Thanks Lloyd, judging from the show models I walked through at the show I attended prior to purchase id say mine is normal just never had ANY noise on my old 97 unit, so just curious and yes I have begun the process of replacing with LED thanks so much for the input everyone. I certainly don't plan on modifying anything and voiding the warranty so I guess LED it is. my initial thoughts was a larger fan probably cost all of 10 dollars, LED going to be upwards of 2-3 hundred (for good ones) I already purchased some from M4products and am very happy with them.
4 way Equalizer WDH
Old 03-01-2015, 04:58 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

your older one may have had a burned out motor?? my old 89 award needed to have the motor replaced.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:21 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thanks Harley I would suspect overheating problems in the several years I had it if that was the case. However after some more digging it appears I was on the right track it appears the fans are 12v 80 mm simply a pc type fan likely a cheap non ball bearing unit, simple to upgrade to a better quieter fan if so, everything built bigger faster cheaper, oh well easy fix if that is the case, plus I will go the led route also.
4 way Equalizer WDH