Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2013, 02:24 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I am wondering if it is possible to convert your slide to run on shore power instead of or in addition to the battery? Our trailer is pretty much parked and plugged in all the time at our lake property so batterys tend to take a real beating. It would be much more convenient to have the slides run off of that instead of the battery. Thanks for any help or suggestions!!!
Edited by: Gsxrgrizz
Old 10-12-2013, 02:34 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

What do you mean "takes a beating"? If the converter is running all the time the battery should be charged all the time. The slides run off of 12v battery with a 12v motor so you would have to swap out the motor for a 120v. Not sure if they make one. Do you turn off power when you leave and disconnect the battery?

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Get a battery tender to maintain the batteries w/o overcharging or boiling off the water. Then shut off shore power if possible. If you need to keep the refrigerator running, then flip the breaker for the convertor, you will still have 110V for the refer heating element and the battery/battery tender will keep the control board working.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

I was told that you should not leave it connected to shore power long term as it will burn out your converter and can be a fire hazard. One of the major issues with me is I am never sure exactly when I'll be back so I have been a little afraid if leaving it alone. Ultimately, I was looking for a solution where I am not dependant on batteries at all however it sounds like I may just have to disconnect or connect it to a battery minder. Edited by: Gsxrgrizz
Old 10-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz
I was told that you should not leave it connected to shore power long term as it will burn out your converter and can be a fire hazard. One of the major issues with me is I am never sure exactly when I'll be back so I have been a little afraid if leaving it alone. Ultimately, I was looking for a solution where I am not dependant on batteries at all however it sounds like I may just have to disconnect or connect it to a battery minder.

You have not indicated if you need to keep other items like the refer powered while you are gone. If everything can be turned off, then disconnect shore power AND use a battery disconnect switch. The batteries should stay adequately charged for weeks and still have sufficient power to operate the slide out motor. Otherwise, turn the converter off and use a battery tender to keep the battery charged and provide minimal 12 V power. There are several items that draw small amounts of 12V power (radio, propane detector, refer, etc) that will drain the battery in a few days and hinder slide out operation.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 10-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I don't usually have the requirement of keeping things refrigerated. The main reason I wanted to be able to use both battery and shore power is due to the fact that twice I was not able to bring in my slides on my old trailer both times with new batteries. That being said, I am not 100% sure my converter was charging the batteries and I now have a new 2014 Sunset Trail Reserve so it may very well me a moot point.

In the end, it sounds like using a tender and/or just disconnecting the batteries is an easier way of ensuring the slides come in when leaving. Thanks for all the help and advice
Old 10-12-2013, 11:23 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsxrgrizz
I don't usually have the requirement of keeping things refrigerated. The main reason I wanted to be able to use both battery and shore power is due to the fact that twice I was not able to bring in my slides on my old trailer both times with new batteries. That being said, I am not 100% sure my converter was charging the batteries and I now have a new 2014 Sunset Trail Reserve so it may very well me a moot point.

In the end, it sounds like using a tender and/or just disconnecting the batteries is an easier way of ensuring the slides come in when leaving. Thanks for all the help and advice

Really sounds like your old converter was not working. If you have been on shore power for at least 24 hrs and the battery doesn't have a bad cell, there should be ample power to retract the slides. And if you use a disconnect switch, then upon returning days or weeks later, a good battery will still have ample power to extend the slides. If it is low, then plugging in shore power should still allow you to immediately open the slides. And if you use a battery tender while gone, then you should have no problems.

However, it is always best to have maximum voltage and current available for the slide outs or landing gear, so whenever possible, I hook up shore power first and disconnect it last.

11 Cruiser CF32MK
Old 10-13-2013, 01:07 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

The simple answer is "NO". You have 3 separate power systems in the trailer: (1) 120V AC runs your outlets, AC water heater, air conditioner, TV and powers the converter. (2) 12V DC powers most of the lights, refrigerator, slide motors,front levelers (5er only), furnace, ignitor for the water heater, and 12V outlets - this gets power from the converter or the battery (when not plugged into shore power). (3) travel light system and brakes - this is also a 12V DC system powered by the tow vehicle with the exception of the emergency break-away switch which is powered by the battery.
The bunk bedroom is for Haley!

Crossing the Roads with The Mason-Dixon Bunch
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

An alternative to your battery power supply for the 12 volt system would be to install a 120 volt a/c to 12 volt d/c power supply for the slides or whatever desired! It would need to have the capacity to supply allthe 12 volt power you would need at any given time and would be quite expensive. Probably cheaper to just maintain your battery! It provides the surge power which the converter cannot supply.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 03:18 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

This is a bit confusing...but here is my 2-cents:

We are seasonal campers. Shore power is not disconnected from April to October. Leaving a unit plugged in will NOT hurt your inverter. My folks did this for 10+ years with no problems, and we have finished 4 summers.

Battery stays charged, but if you are plugged in and REMOVE the battery, your 12V items (including slides and fridge) will run. I ran my super-slide in yesterday with no battery installed and on shore power. I leave battery in thru the summer just because I can. Doesn't hurt it and the deep cycle batteriesprefer trickle charging anyway.

You DO need the battery installed if you want to turn on running lights at night(I use a 5A fuse as a jumper in the pigtail). This is mearly for fun and show.
Edited by: ewbldavis
2014 Zinger 32QB
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

I'm glad to hear it may work without the batteries while hooked up to shore power alone. To try and clear things up a little as some of you have expressed confusion with reference to my question, my old trailer was just that....old. I don't believe the battery was getting a charge when connected to shore power, there was the obvious drain from the detectors ect. which lead to my batteries being drained to the point of no return!

When I traded my old trailer in last week for my 2014 Sunset Trail Reserve I had to disconnect the slide motor and hand crank it in. Where my property is located I am 3 hours from being able to get anything....like another battery. As such I am a little gun shy and was trying to come up with a simple solution to resolve it so I would not be in that situation again. In the end, if shore power alone won't bring them in, I will just travel with the battery back and forth to ensure it works every time. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions