Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

We left the Osceola County fairgrounds today after a week at the Evart, Michigan Dulcimer festival. When we tried to dump the black water tank it stopped flowing after a very short time. I tried back flushing the tank by holding the dump hose higher than the tank and running water into it. That didn't work! We went for a drive and intentionally drove erratically to agitate the tank. That didn't work! We poured ice into the tank via the toilet and then drove around erratically. That didn't work! We finally got the tank dumped but it was a real chore and no one thing was the obvious solution. I have to admit that I do not like single ply TP, so that might have been the problem. Suggestions welcome!!!

Also, one of the gray water valves didn't push back in as far as it was originally. It seems to shut off that tank, so why doesn't it push back in to it's original position?

Thanks,

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:15 PM   #2

Well we have had the same problem as have friends of ours. Our solution is this. We went to Walmart and purchased a DIAPER GENIE. It is used for well; the obvious to put diapers in. We went to dollar store and purchased the 50 pack of small pink bags. We no longer put toliet paper in the toliet. We place it in the little bags; tie them up and place them down the DIAPER GENIE. Just empty the DIAPER GENIE bag after each camping trip. No smell and I have never had another clog up. Knock on wood. Try WD-40 on the other valve or have it checked.Edited by: Deputydog
Old 07-18-2011, 12:24 PM   #3
hhh
Seasonal Camper

You have to make sure you use a LOT of water every time you flush. Also make sure you start with a couple of gallons in the tank before you use it. Without enough water the paper will not break down. When you dump, put in a couple of gallons of water in right away, this prevents any solids left behind from hardening.

Edited by: hhh

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

we dont put anything in the comode thathasent passed thru us first,havent in are last 3 campers
works well for us,but we are going to get one of those diaper things,thanks deputy dawg

2011 cf285rl patriot cruiser

07 dodge cummings
joescuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

We use Scotts extra soft single ply. Never had a problem. Like others have said, after you dump put a couple of gallons of water in and some type of chemical. We use the Oxy Chem packets from Walmart and they seem to work well.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

What is a "gini"?

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #7

Genie !
Old 07-18-2011, 02:38 PM   #8

DIAPER GENIE,

DIAPER GENIE,

DIAPER GENIE,

DIAPER GENIE,

DIAPER GENIE,

DIAPER GENIE,

DIAPER GENIE,

DIAPER GENIE,

DIAPER GENIE,

DIAPER GENIE............ECT.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Water!

Flush liberally every time you use TP. If you're not already using digester, you might try that as well. But use more water no matter what else you do.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Since you have the newer model 5vr, I believe that they have a remote panel for the operating the tank dump valves. If that is the case it very possible that you have pulled out the cable that opens and closes the gate valve. If that's the case, I would suggest that you take the trailer back to the dealer and have them resolve the problem.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:35 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

I'm with George on this one. Take it back and have the valves fixed, the dumping process is not that difficult and no way would i go the route of a diaper genie. We got one those with our youngest child. Nice idea but in the end if you fill it full of stuff that stinks it will start to stink. And as the others have said, WATER!!!! Every time the toilet is flushed we refill the bowl with water and send it down as a chaser. Mix that with a bottle of the blue stuff from wally world and the tank empties nicely.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

Did you use the flush system????

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:16 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusSailor
We left the Osceola County fairgrounds today after a week at the Evart, Michigan Dulcimer festival. When we tried to dump the black water tank it stopped flowing after a very short time. I tried back flushing the tank by holding the dump hose higher than the tank and running water into it. That didn't work! We went for a drive and intentionally drove erratically to agitate the tank. That didn't work! We poured ice into the tank via the toilet and then drove around erratically. That didn't work! We finally got the tank dumped but it was a real chore and no one thing was the obvious solution. I have to admit that I do not like single ply TP, so that might have been the problem. Suggestions welcome!!!

Also, one of the gray water valves didn't push back in as far as it was originally. It seems to shut off that tank, so why doesn't it push back in to it's original position?

Thanks,

Regarding your first problem you apparently have something blocking the black tank drain pipe or your valve is not opening. The only way to determine if the valve is not opening, possibly due to the remote cable coming loose or a defective valve, is to drop the underbelly cover and examine the valve.

I would think if the drain pipe is completely blocked, probably closing the valve, then filling the tank completely full, then draining (maybe a couple of times) should dislodge the blockage. Try this first before going into the valve. There is also the possibility of using a small sewer snake to break up the congestion. Go in from the bayonet connection all the way up to the valve. Again, have tank full of water and watch your face if you dislodge the blockage!

On the second problem, I've had the same problem on my black tank. The valve doesn't close the last 1/2" because there is some debris in the valve. Again, close the valve, fill tank full, open valve and dump. You will usually wash the debris out of the small channel the valve gate seats into.

Good luck!!
Edited by: pulpwood007
pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote

« storage | Battery? »