Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Anyone getting Critters in their trailer?
Critters 0 0%
Animals 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-04-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Has anyone had issues with animales and/or 4 legged critters getting inside their trailer? We have a 2008 Hampton and suspect a chipmunk got inside, since there are acorns all over the place. Plus, it appears there might not be any damage, but still investigating it. We can not figure out where they came in from. We have the front kitchen model. There are one 3 drawers that any evidence in it. There are 3 drawers under the mirror sliding closet doors in the bedroom. All cabinet doors and drawers were closed. Otherwise they had free roaming of the entire camper. It knocked the pillows off the bed and candels off the table. This occured during the winter in Wiscosnins. The camper was purchased brand new last summer and is placed on a permenant site. The slides-out where in during the winter. Has anyone had issues with animals getting in? We called Crossroads and they suggested to use this forum. They never heard of this happening. Since there is a 2-year warrently, this should be cover under material defect and poor workmanship. Something is defected, allowing them in and there was poor workmanship to allow this to even happen. Once again, this is what CrossRoads suggested to do to get an answer. Please help if you can.
campingWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Sounds like a squrril may have gotten in. A chipmunk would have a hard time knocking the pillows and candles down. If that is the case then it needs an opening about 1 1/2" in diameter or bigger. Look around the trailer for that size opening. Look on the roof too. You should check with the slides in also. If you wait until dusk you can shine a flashlight around on the out side and see if you see it inside.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Check behind the water management panel in basement. Behind mine there was big hole that I had the dealer seal up.

2008 Cruiser 29RK
2005 Silverado 2500HD Sold
2015 Silverado 2500HD CCSB Duramax
rgbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:33 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

The little rats find places to enter and it doesn't need to be very big!

Commonly they enter from the underside through openings in the underbelly or plumbing access. I suggest you take a crawl under the trailer and check the sewer termination area, propane inlets/outlets and any wire runs. If you have a gap bigger then the pit of a peach they can enter. Use the spray foam in a can to seal the area's.

Another area to check is your power cord, was it closed off?
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Oh - forgot to mention. The tank flush and termination valve actuator's ran into the undrecarriage on my trailer through a 3" diameter hole in the fram I-beam. This area was NOT sealed, I used spray foam to seal this access to the pesty little brats.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

We are going to investigate it further this coming Monday. We called the manufacture and dealer. They stated they have never heard of this happening. I just want to know if anyone has had this happen to a new trailer. We are going to use the foam to fill in any little crack, but I feel this should be under warranty. This would be a defect in quality workmanship. I coulod something within the cabinets, but to get in the living part, WOW!! I was grown up with Dutchman, and never had a problem with those. I have never done anything extra to them.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:26 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Also, thank you all for your input. This is what the Manufacture asked me to do. Go on this forum and see if has happened to anyone else. Thank you!!
Old 05-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Unfortunately, critters can enter easily into the "below floor/above membrane" area. I have holes big enough around the slide mechanism/bars. The question is how do they get inside the coach. Obviously the heating ducts, water lines, sewer lines all penetrate this area. Unless you can pull the membrane and insulation down, you may never find the hole. There have been lots of ideas on this forum to rid yourself of mice, but squirrels and chipmonks? I don't know.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:11 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingWI
Since there is a 2-year warrently, this should be cover under material defect and poor workmanship.Â* Something is defected, allowing them in and there was poor workmanship to allow this to even happen.Â* Once again, this is what CrossRoads suggested to do to get an answer.Â* Please help if you can.

I'm sorry for your loss. Â*But it is highly unlikely this is a warranty claim. Â*Without pulling up a dictionary or using wikipedia I believe you'll find the legal definition of the terms "material defect" and your term "poor workmanship" really do NOT apply to this situation. Â*If the trailer is not properly assembled or inferior materials were used to produce it or bad engineering allowed it to fall apart...those are warranty claims. Â*Some kind of pest getting into the trailer or a burglar who gains entry is not a warranty nor a manufacturing issue. Â*Unfortunate, yes. Â*Crossroads problem? Sorry, but no.

I'm sympathetic to your situation. Â*Cleaning up a mess and/or dealing with any damage is unexpected and certainly never convenient. Â* But it is part of home ownership and part of camping. Â*I certainly hope you find the access point and are able to stop further intrusions.

Happy Camping!

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:16 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

If it is a squrril, they are good eating...

Old 05-06-2009, 08:52 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

^^^

ONLY if you manage to get ALL the hair off.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
Taste like chicken

Nights camped in 2010 = 009
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Only if you fry it.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #14
Seasonal Camper

Baked is good too!!

Old 05-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

As long as there is bar-b-que sauce too!

Old 05-06-2009, 12:01 PM   #16
Family Vacation Member

dont forget texas pete

https://i508.photobucket.com/albums/s325/onlyrj/rv-1.jpg
onlyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:46 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

We will have a big squirrel roast. We will cook him over the open fire for all his friends to see. That will change their thought about spending the winter in your trailer again. LOL!!
Old 05-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #18
Weekend Camper

We just got a 2010 cruiser,I couldn't believe the hole the size of a big grapefruit they have to run the water hose through, we camp where there is ground squirrels that wouldn't need that big of a hole to go through, a skunk or a possum could get through that hole.they was building trailers 20 and 30 years ago that was built better than they are today. Seems like all they care about now is the gingerbread. All it would take is a little common sense.
mosledder is offline   Reply With Quote