Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-23-2010, 07:11 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Can anyone give suggestions on what to use to get the shine back on the front cap. Mine is dull and streaked looking. Have used wax (turtle wax) but no real change. Is there something else that any one is using?
Old 10-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Try using a fiberglass type wax (for rv's and marine). I have noticed some waxes can streak (mark up) the cap and under the overhang areas. Same with the sides of the slides. I use a brand that is specifically for marine/fiberglass use.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 08:16 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have tried just about everything on the front cap of our PP and nothing seems to work very long. Once they dull and start to oxidize about the only thing you can do is have it clear coated. The product below worked the best of anything I tried followed by a good coat of wax.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/protect-all-fiberglass-oxidation-remover-and-color-restorer/2089
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I use Colliinite Insulator wax for years & it does a nice job of keeping a shine,You only need to put one coat a year on,it will lasta long time,I think it's great for sun & bug protection also.They use it alot on boats & airplanes also.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I was trying many things to get the black streaks off and shine the front of my sunsetter. I ended up using a rag and WD40 with great success! It also worked great on the rubber seal around the slide out.

2 Boys/2 Girls

Galesburg, MI
CampDad10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:21 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDad10
I was trying many things to get the black streaks off and shine the front of my sunsetter. I ended up using a rag and WD40 with great success! It also worked great on the rubber seal around the slide out.

Any adverse effects from the Petroleum Distillates and the rubber seals. I know that Petro and rubber don't mix

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:56 AM   #7
Site Team

What Stan posted has work good for me also.
I have used WD-40 for years to clean the dirt and such off the seals. Then wash them with warm soapy water, let dry, and apply a coat of silicone.

Edited by: Old Farmer
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:03 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

After cleaning my seals I followed up with some 303 Aerospace sealer. But now I need to unfold the seals by hand, as I think they are to slick to grab the slide to full lay flat.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:38 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Franc

I do not know what your front cap is made of, I assume fiberglass with a gel coat. If it is, the only way to make it look like new is to use a buffer and a 3M micro finishing micro glaze polish. Use a sheepcoat or a foam cover buffer(can acquire them at any auto store). Use the micro polish, put the polish on the buffer and work into an area about 3' x 3'. Use a moderate speed to cut the old non shinny serface. Then after you have worked the area, put the buffer on high and you will be surprised how great it will look. Be sure to keep the buffer moving at all time. The key is to buff on high speed when the polish is just beginning to dry. The drying polish is what brings back the original shine and lustre. When you have completed the polish (of the entire front cap) wash off the cap, then dry it. When you are sure it is 100% dry, apply a coat of wax - the best that I have found is made my collinite's # 845. Apply the wax directly to the front cap - rub it in by hand,be sure it is 100% dry - then use a polishing foam and buff with your variable speed polisher. The Collinite's product is an insulater wax and will last a few years with no deterioration. You will be suprised how easy it is, how great it will look and how easy the bugs will wash off/come off when done correctly. Lastly, there is a product called Xylon that can be applied - it is very expensive as it is the same product that is used on commericial airframes/airplanes. You could expect to pay about $1500 for a Xylon coating with a 5 year performance warranty - however, if you have to buy a buffer, buffing pads, the 3M product and Collinites you are going to spend less than $200.

Hope this helps...when the surface of gel coat has lost it's shine - adding wax is only a surface repair - cutting out the old wax/road grime etc and a new good coat of wax is the long lasting answer.....sorry for be so verbose...good luck Byron

Chisago City MN
Byron & Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:35 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Thanks to all for the information. I know the most imporant thing is that it is going to take some elbow grease to get the shine back.