Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Send a message via AIM to TB88
Cruiser wiring

Just developed problem with my running or courtesy lights.Left and right signal lights work,brake lights also work.Orange Leds on front cap work.None of the marker or running lights work.Also no problem with trucks lights.Suspect ground problem but how do I check for it.Any suggestions please
Old 07-11-2018, 06:06 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Assuming all your bulbs and truck fuses are good, I would start at the truck connector. If that works, you just have to trace the wiring through the trailer. Maybe someone else has some tricks.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:06 PM   #3
Site Team

Run a jumper wire or a paper clip between connector 4 and connector 3 (as shown in the attachment) on your trailer plug. The running lights should illuminate if there is no problem on the trailer side.
Attached Images
File Type: png Trailer Plug.png (158.3 KB, 24 views)

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 07:32 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
Run a jumper wire or a paper clip between connector 4 and connector 3 (as shown in the attachment) on your trailer plug. The running lights should illuminate if there is no problem on the trailer side.
What if everything lights fine when plugged into the truck, but when trying to use a jumper wire for night time lighting the lights do not work?
jimmerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:45 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Then probably your #4 wire has corroded or come loose inside the connector. When you jumper, you're supplying the lights from #4 -> #3. When attached to your truck, the truck will supply its own power directly to #3. So if it works on the truck but not jumpered, #4 is the probable cause.

New connectors are cheap and a pretty easy DIY project. You could just install a new one. If you have a multimeter you can check the voltage between #4 and #1 (should be 12V+). If not, multimeters are ALSO cheap and even the junkiest one can eliminate the mystery...
backcountrycamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:55 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountrycamp View Post
Then probably your #4 wire has corroded or come loose inside the connector. When you jumper, you're supplying the lights from #4 -> #3. When attached to your truck, the truck will supply its own power directly to #3. So if it works on the truck but not jumpered, #4 is the probable cause.

New connectors are cheap and a pretty easy DIY project. You could just install a new one. If you have a multimeter you can check the voltage between #4 and #1 (should be 12V+). If not, multimeters are ALSO cheap and even the junkiest one can eliminate the mystery...

The funny thing is, this is a relatively new 7 pin connector i installed. I’m sure i screwed something up along my way? The jumper worked on the old connector but i can’t recall if, or how long it worked when i rewired the new connector?

I’m pretty good at screwing up easy things!

Thanks, i will check it out in the morning.
Old 05-07-2020, 05:57 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

If the running lights work with the truck but not a jumper you do not have 12v on the plug pin.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:18 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipeFlier View Post
If the running lights work with the truck but not a jumper you do not have 12v on the plug pin.
I'm not sure what that means? I'm supposed to have 12v on the plug pin right?
Old 05-07-2020, 07:14 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmerz View Post
I'm not sure what that means? I'm supposed to have 12v on the plug pin right?
On your trailer male connector, on pin#4 battery auxiliary will now be your power source and you just need to add a jumper wire to pin #3 (marker lights). A convenient and safe method is get a female plug, jump pin #3 to #4 and you can add a switch between the two so whenever you unplug from the truck you can plug your cord into this connector, it's mounted out of the way and all you ever have to do is hit the switch to turn on your marker lights.,,, keeps the cord out of the way and off the ground at the same time...