Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2021, 07:07 PM   #1
New Camper

Damage to camper at the dealer

We had our camper at the dealership for waranty work, and then a blizzard happened. They stated that snow blew through locked door. And they had many units this happened to. My question is it looks to me like the door was open during the blizard. What should i do. PS use pinch to zoom to zoom in to see damages. 20210113_164803.jpg20210113_164710.jpg20210113_164711.jpg34782.jpg34769.jpg
micmarkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 07:40 PM   #2
Site Team

If the door lock used was the deadbolt lock, it's impossible to blow thru. Even if it was the regular latch lock, I cannot see it blowing thru. Sounds like they left the door either open or unlocked.
It's their fault either way.
If they refuse to fix and repair, you may have to litigate the damages or file an insurance claim against the dealer's insurance.
Document and as you have done, take pictures.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:21 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Did you talk to the manager or owner? Ask how in the world snow blows through a properly closed door, and since they had possession of it, ensuring it is properly secured is their responsibility. Campers/RV are made weather tight. Mentioning legal action may be enough to get them to do the right thing.
2020 Silverado HD3500 Duramax
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 02:57 PM   #4
New Camper

They will claim act of god - not covered. BUT . . My experience is dealers forget to lock/close doors. Our trailer was delivered with an open door. Being newbies we didn’t discover it for 4 hrs upon arrival home. Fortunately the wind kept it in the closed position

Unless there are others with similar damage- PRESS THE ISSUE.
EricDahl21102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:01 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

This was THEIR product, and they claim snow blew in a locked door? Lol
Yeah, I'd push them hard, and threaten legal action, as mentioned above. Even IF
their insurance doesn't want to pay, Dealerships can suck up the cost of repairs in a snap of the fingers.
Unless you signed a waiver releasing them of any damage while in their hands, I'd be screaming loudly in the showroom. If all else fails write an email to corporate, and enclose your pics.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:06 PM   #6
New Camper

I worked in an Rv repair shop for a decade. If you did not leave deadbolt key with them, there is no way for them to lock deadbolt. I have came to work in the morning and found doors open, yet the door handle was still locked. A strong enough wind can twist an rv frame enough to pop a door open, just as a rough road can. That’s why you need stab jacks. If the frame of the door (and latch) are spaced a good bit apart, the door will feel closed, but with a GOOD pull you can actually pop it open. I’m not saying this is the case with yours, but I am saying it is not uncommon. That is why we always insisted on getting full set of keys from owners, and putting deadbolt on new lot units. It was a pain having to get keys instead of skeleton key, but at least we knew doors were secure. So much so that thieves broke in through skylight because they couldn’t get in door.
snowman1_23 is offline   Reply With Quote