Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2021, 04:49 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Did you Switch from 5th wheel to small Class A ?

Would like to know your thoughts switching from 5th wheel
to a small class A no longer than 30 feet.
Greetings, Harold
Old 04-08-2021, 06:25 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

My parents had a class c for a number of years and that let me realize that I prefer a separate tow vehicle and trailer. When we go camping we like to explore the area and see things maybe attend a local festival or other parks or attractions in the area. Or if you need supplies or forgot something it is a pain to break camp to take the motor home to town. That is just my feelings but you need to do what works best for you.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 06:31 PM   #3
Site Team

Thought about it, but like Scott said, if you want to explore the area, you'll need a toad.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 07:02 PM   #4
Site Team

My sister has a class C and tow a car. That would be something to consider.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:32 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

If size is a consideration than the 5th wheel is a no brainer...Also storage is much bigger in the 5th wheel than most other classes...
2022 Alliance Avenue 32RLS

In God We Trust
A proud member of the one percent...Semper Fi
sleepyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:49 AM   #6
Gone Traveling

With lengths being equal you'll have considerably more room, more storage & depending on the motorhome chassis & tow vehicle probably better fuel mileage towing a 5th wheel. With this said if looking at 30'+ RVs you WILL need more than a 1/2 ton pickup to tow 5th wheels of this size
A 30' class A or C you lose about 5-6' of living area with the cockpit whereas in a 30' 5th wheel you have 30' of living area. Plus the raised ceilings in 5th wheels make it seem even more roomy.
As mentioned if you plan sightseeing trips its much easier in a pickup than any motorhome, either way you'll be towing something. From my experience you can put the pickup in reverse & back a 5th wheel wherever you want, a motorhome with a toad you WILL NOT back up without unhooking the toad move it out of the way.
I will say that while traveling the motorhome is more convenient for the passengers, but once you've reached the destination you could/will use the extra living area a 5th wheel provides.
All this is my opinion, you need to make your own decisions based on your wants/needs.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:27 AM   #7
Site Team

OP has asked basically the same question in another thread. Generating just about the same answers.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:33 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thank you for pointing out some stuff I have not considered yet.
I will keep my 5th wheel for a few more years.
And yes I asked the same in another thread but not many answers.
Greetings, Harold

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
With lengths being equal you'll have considerably more room, more storage & depending on the motorhome chassis & tow vehicle probably better fuel mileage towing a 5th wheel. With this said if looking at 30'+ RVs you WILL need more than a 1/2 ton pickup to tow 5th wheels of this size
A 30' class A or C you lose about 5-6' of living area with the cockpit whereas in a 30' 5th wheel you have 30' of living area. Plus the raised ceilings in 5th wheels make it seem even more roomy.
As mentioned if you plan sightseeing trips its much easier in a pickup than any motorhome, either way you'll be towing something. From my experience you can put the pickup in reverse & back a 5th wheel wherever you want, a motorhome with a toad you WILL NOT back up without unhooking the toad move it out of the way.
I will say that while traveling the motorhome is more convenient for the passengers, but once you've reached the destination you could/will use the extra living area a 5th wheel provides.
All this is my opinion, you need to make your own decisions based on your wants/needs.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:57 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

We downsized from a 34 ft 5th wheel pulled by a 1 ton crew cab long box dually to a 28 ft 5th wheel with 3 slides pulled by a 3/4 ton work truck.

It allows us to get into much small campsites, and still not change our traveling style. Setting up and breaking down is quick.

The biggest problem was to find a decent quality SMALL 5th wheel. The 34 ft was much better in quality.
stetson is offline   Reply With Quote