Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-31-2012, 02:39 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

This is a fairly minor complaint, but the TV reception in our new TT is non-existent.

The new trailer has one of the new type Digital Antenna which doesn't have to be raised - yeah!, I no longer have to worry about it being left up!
However, with my old trailer with one of the older crank up models ( I must add in the same camping spot), I used to get 7-8 channels at this location. Now, if I'm lucky it might gets 2 channels, and even then the TV often flashes a "Weak Signal" or "No Signal" when trying to watch those channels. I had heard the reception was better with the new digital antenna, but not in my experience.

The amplifier is turned on, and to the antenna position. I've checked and swapped the cable from amp panel to the TV, and even took down the amp switch plate and checked the connection on the back of the amp - and retightened. The only thing I haven't tried yet is checking the connection to the antenna on the roof.

Anyone else have any experiences with the newer digital antennas? Is there a way for me to check the connection on the roof without

climbing up there an taking it apart? I definitely don't want to have

to remove the sealing caulk just to check the connection.

Perhaps the standard models sent on the RV's is just poor, and I should invest in a better quality model?

2011 Sunset Trails 24RB

2012 Dodge RAM 1500 5.7Hemi
epjohnso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:46 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I don't think you are alone in your experience. A lot of people are complaining about the new omni-directional antennaes. Several have requested that Crossroads replace them with the Winegard crankup antennae.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Mine has the crank up kind and I get good reception. In my house I recently switched from dish network to just the antenna and I will say that it also has a lot to do with the tuner. I have 3 different tvs hooked to the same antenna and they pick up different channels. The worst one was the one on my satelitereceiverand the best one is the tuner I bought for my laptop.

https://2guysdev.com/mark/allthetoys.jpg

maskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:29 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

The digital signal is a good thing for picture quality but its a pain in the butt to work with. You either have receiption or you don't, no in between. I'm still using the crankup Winegard that allows me to rotate the antenna. I've found that by rotating the antenna 90 degrees then rescanning for channels is the best way to find over the air stations. It's time consuming due to the fact that it might take 3 or 4tries to find the best position for the antennabut it seems to work. I wouldn't have an antenna that could not be rotated.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I had the same problem. We live and camp where most of the stations are more than 60 miles and evn the ones the are about 40 do not come in well with the antenna. Bought the tailgater from Dish and use it. Works great after the second reciever and second tailgater. Hook it up, set it outside and it does the rest. Mush less expensive then the other sat packages from other places I shopped.

2006 Nissan Titan

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH

Equalizer Hitch
sle1995 is offline   Reply With Quote