Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2019, 07:56 PM   #1
New Camper

Disconnect Converter from Battery

I want to be able to disconnect the converter from the batteries so that the converter is not charging the batteries. The reason I am doing this is that I want to install an inverter that goes from the batteries to my shore hook up cord when we are dry camping. That way I can fire up the coffee pot or toaster. If I don't disconnect the converter from the batteries I will have a loop in the cycle. The question: Is there a wire that goes to the batteries from the converter that is a different wire than goes from the batteries into the 5th wheel? IF there is I believe I can put a shut-off switch on that line coming into the batteries and accomplish what I want to.
jayreinig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:45 PM   #2
Site Team

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Please remember to add the year make and model of your camper. It helps others to help you when we know what you are working on.

There is only one wire from the battery to the converter. On 12 volt the power comes from battery to the 12 volt side of the converter and powers the camper. On 110 the converter powers the 110 side and 12 volt side and also back along the same wire to charge the battery.

Are you also wanting to power other 110 things like the TV and microwave?
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:37 AM   #3
New Camper

Disconnect Converter from Battery

Thanks for the quick reply. I have a 2012 Crossroads Cruiser 26RK 5th Wheel.

Yes I want to power the other things like the TV and Microwave. I am planning on a 2000 Watt Inverter. I will run an extension cord out of the inverter to the shore power plug.

Based on your response it seems as if I put a cutoff switch on the line that goes from the battery to the converter I will accomplish what I want.

I think the line is the key line would be the white line leaving the Battery. Is that correct?

My process would be to turn this switch to the off position and then plug the line from the inverter into the shore power plug. If I place the switch by the inverter, I PROBABLY won't forget to turn the switch on the line from the converter to the off position!
Old 03-02-2019, 07:10 AM   #4
Site Team

Just wandering what are you going to use for batteries and how will you recharge them?
Old 03-02-2019, 07:20 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

You should think this thing through. When it comes to inverters and batteries and power used versus the ability to “ power replaced” - it’s no free lunch. Your 2000 watt won’t run much and it takes an extreme amount of time to replace that used battery power with the on board “converter”. Each time you deplete the amperage reserve in that battery by more than half - you take a life cycle out of the battery. Most properly run inverters use an auto transfer switch to isolate the shore power. My recommendation is to wire it to the battery and tie in whatever circuit “roster tv etc utilizing an auto transfer switch at that junction. Really - you 2000 won’t run much.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:02 AM   #6
Site Team

Maybe A Coleman camp stove, and a stove top peculator coffee pot would be the simpler route.

With solar and an inverter they usually have an auto transfer wired in.
Like previously stated, a 2000 watt inverter won't run much. Also I agree with not discharging the batteries past 50%. Most electric coffee makers and toaster will draw about 1000 watts each. It will require a pretty good size battery bank to with stand a draw like that.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:01 AM   #7
New Camper

Yep! My wife thinks I am crazy too.

I am just exploring my options to firing up a generator while dry camping. I am going to take the first step of getting a 100 Amp solar system to recharge the batteries. ACO Power has a pretty good 100 AMP portable set up with decent reviews on Amazon. I will have 2 12Volt Interstate Batteries as the bank. I am pleased with them the original Interstates lasted 5 years.

Does anyone know if Coleman makes a remote control camp stove so I could fire it up when I wake up with out going out of the camper? At least I would have a hot cup of coffee pretty early.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback!
Old 03-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #8
Site Team

As far as I know Coleman does not make a remote control stove-yet!

But you do have a stove that does not require you to go out side and you could perk your Coffee the night before then just heat it up .

I also do not think your batteries would last very long. Also with todays electronics you would need a "true sine wave" inverter.

Whatever you do please let us know and good luck.
Old 03-07-2019, 02:17 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

French press

I went to a French press for my coffee. Much better flavor. You can boil your water on your stove, campfire, Coleman stove or wherever. Since I got it a year ago I've never used any of my coffee makers and am thinking of getting rid of them. No need for electricity to brew.
donee11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 02:35 PM   #10
New Camper

I just did something very similar for my 2019 Sunset Trail.

What I ended up doing is putting two batteries in the front storage next to the newly installed inverter. I then ran 10/2 romex to the panel and added two new breakers (two breakers on the size of one). I then attached the converter to one breaker and the inverter to another breaker. With this set up, I can power everything in my panel (microwave, outlet, fan, etc.) with inverter power or with shore power.

There wasn’t much out there when I tried to do it, but I am certainly happy to share pictures as well as lessons learned. It’s a great set up! Pulled out of a campsite w/o utilities up in the CO mountains at 530 one morning and we were able to make Keurig coffee for the adults and my wife and mother in law could straighten and blow dry their hair; all without firing up a generator.

If you pull off your panel, you’ll probably find your converter behind. See where the wire is running from converter to a breaker on the bus bar (it will likely share a 110 outlet breaker). Move this to a new breaker that you buy and install. This give you the ability to shut the converter on/off at the main bus bar (additional safety feature as well in my book).

Best of luck! Let me know if you’d like some pictures or more details.
Desert_rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

Well there’s this!!!
https://www.amazon.com/MAKITA-Rechar...+coffee&sr=8-5
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:22 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

And you can get vacuums, flashlights, phone chargers, etc that the batteries fit..
bigjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
converter/battery cable