Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Dish is telling me that I can't take the receiver from my home and use it in my RV. They want me to buy a 211 receiver and a tailgater dish for the RV and pay $7.00 a month for service in the RV. I thought that I could take the receiver from my home and have a portable DISH antenna for the RV. Am I missing something here or are they trying to sell me something I don't need?

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I do not have HD but I take our 311 receiver out on the road with us. I just have the account at home so , as I have said on other post, I loose my local channels once I get a few hundred miles from home. No big deal as there are so many cable channels the cooking for Debi and golf and DIY for me plus a ton we both enjoy. Well that is getting a little off track. I guess the question is the number of sats you want to pick up and the programs you want to watch. I know some here take out the HD ant's and get the 3 required sats (110, 118 and 124 (for HD)) I think you cold take the receiver out of the house and pick up what you can and also have the DVR programs to watch that you have saved up.

Old 09-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I do the very same thing but don't tell Dish Network. I get the same channels as my home no matter where I go. 2 years and no issues.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 04:04 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I went ahead and ordered DISH service for my home. We are getting a 222 receiver and a 1000.2 dish. There are aftermarket 1000.2 dishes available from Amazon. With that antenna and my receiver from home I"m assuming that I will be all set. Any opinions to the contrary???? Also, are there other dish antennas that would be better for this purpose, such as the 1000.4, which "says" that it works in Alaska.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:53 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I thought the tailgater would be a great idea, but I would not recommend that to anyone. Had it...returned it.

2006 Nissan Titan

2013 Sunset Trail 31BH

Equalizer Hitch
sle1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

What are people using for a satellite finder. I'm thinking that a simple analog meter along with an app for my iphone should do it. Some of the more sophisticated meters can run as much as $200.00+. I'd like to get away with as little expense as possible and still be sure that I can find the satellites fairly easily.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:21 AM   #7
Seasonal Camper

Currently I spend the winters in Arizona. For the past three years I have only had to call dish and request my local channels be transferred to the area I am in. I just take my receiver with me. While in transit I use a dish on a tripod mount. I purchased the dish I carry with me from a local installer. Depending on where I am I may not get the local channels but I am always been able to get all the other channels.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I use an meter and compass. get the skew and heading and it is easy to go sat finding. Once I get a strong signal the DW checks the receiver to make sure I have the right sat that I am looking for. In the open it is easy but in the trees you might have to move the ant a little to get all the sats you want.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I've had the tailgater for 5 months now with know problems,Wouldn't want to be without it.

I don't pay the monthly fee.Edited by: campsurveyor