Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2019, 07:13 AM   #1
New Camper

Dometic Refrigerator will not run on electric

Model RM 2852 2 way (gas + 120 v)
Gas works... It tries to switch to electric and just hear a something click. Went through the "interweb" searches and I:
checked 120 v outlet...works.
checked for 120 v going into the board on back of fridge....got it.
read that I need to have 120 v off J-7 and J-8. NOTHING
ohm reading on the heating element is 44 (manual states it needs to be 44 +/- 10%).
3 A and 5 A fuses good (person at Dometic said I tested fuse wrong... I tested continuity to both ends of the fuse...was good. They said no, leave fuse in and put one lead of the ohm meter on one side of the fuse and ground the other lead. Then do the same thing to the other end of the fuse. (That didn't prove anything).
What is the inop component not allowing 120 v coming into the circuit board to reach J-7 & J-8? Something has to switch to allow 120 v to reach them. They can't be powered continuously.
Seems like the board, or something on the board is kaput! I want to remove all other possibilities before spending $$ on a board only to find out the board was OK.
I know someone out there has heard of this or came across this themselves.
Thank you in advance.
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 03:09 PM   #2
New Camper

Interested to hear replies- our dometic model RM4805 will run on electric but will not stay cold. Works well on gas and 12v . Have used a fridge thermometer to check temp but quickly heats up on electric. No one seems to know why and we have also checked all electrics and nothing seems wrong. Dometic were no help !
Arelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #3
New Camper

I unplugged the heat element from the board.
I rigged up a 120v male plug with about 2 feet of wire.
On the other end of the wires I installed the correct wire connectors for the heating element to match up (the correct ones so the new plug/wire and the heat element could connect together).
Plug into the 120v power.
After about 10-15 hours later, check the fridge for coolness.
Mine did not work and I replaced the element and that fixed it.
If you know how to check the element for a short, you could bypass the above description.
I found this info on the internet (so it must be true...)
Also, check out Fords RV Refrigerator Repair for tips. You tube as well.
Hope this is helpful.
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 09:40 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arelle View Post
Interested to hear replies- our dometic model RM4805 will run on electric but will not stay cold. Works well on gas and 12v . Have used a fridge thermometer to check temp but quickly heats up on electric. No one seems to know why and we have also checked all electrics and nothing seems wrong. Dometic were no help !
Do you have a model that has temp sensor in back of refrig mounted on fins? If so, you may need to clean/ reinstall or slide up or down to adjust temp?
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:05 AM   #5
New Camper

Well, nuts...
After rereading FlyGuy's post again, my comment was already covered.
Maybe, it may help others.
Pat
Jay Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:55 AM   #6
Site Team

Sounds like you need a new board. If the heating element tested good then it would be the board not functioning on the electric side. If you are comfortable with removing the board you could take it to a RV repair shop and they have a tester that it plugs into to test it. Then you would know before you buy a new one.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:46 AM   #7
New Camper

Google up Dometic Diagnostic Service Manual with your model number. In there is a chart with the Ohms that your element should read when testing, +/- 10%. Just unplug the J8 and J9 (on my RM2852 model) and connect an ohm meter to the leads off the element.
I exhausted my areas of trouble shooting and broke down and ordered a new board. Waiting for it to show up.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:09 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

I know this wont help but.....I had the same problem with my frig (don't know model right now) when arriving in Arizona for a few months. I discovered the problem when my new propane bottle ran out of gas after only a couple of weeks. I tested everything I could think of on the back of the frig and inspected gas on/off switch on frig front panel. I turned off the propane at the bottle to try to force it to go to electric and was stumped but just when I was about to call a repair man I fiddled with everything one more time and the electric came on and has been working fine ever since. Go figure. I hope you find the problem.
Rick A
Old 04-15-2019, 09:26 AM   #9
New Camper

I exhausted all possible trouble shooting areas. I ordered another board and it works fine. Examining the old board I noticed two solder points that were slightly darker than any other points. I assume the resistor went bad.
Thanks for all your help on this headache.
Now....everything works and it's up for sale!!
Old 05-03-2019, 12:11 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

We bought a new 27' crossroads crusier in 2011..... we are on our 4th dometic A/C and 2nd dometic fridge, and it still doesn't work properly on gas...... our current, (2nd fridge) quit working with shore power, took it in to the shop, turned out to be on/off switch. They replace switch, now works great on shore power, still not great on gas. Dometic ? Wonder how they stay in business....... (we had extended warranty, so only paid $100 on each replacement, instead of $700 to !000, each time.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote