Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2020, 03:40 PM   #1
New Camper

Drop in city water pressure

We are new owners of 07 CR Paradise Point 35 fifth wheel. When I hook up city water with approx 60psi, water pressure in trailer is very low. Checked for debris. Is there a built-in pressure regulator? Where if so? What could explain drop in pressure?
papaBryan3322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 03:46 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Is it on all faucets? Sometimes the aerators get stopped up and cut pressure
Pinesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 05:52 PM   #3
New Camper

Yes. All pressure reduced.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:01 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Maybe a filter somewhere needing replacement?
Old 06-11-2020, 06:28 PM   #5
Site Team

Check around and see if there is a system water filter that may need to be changed. Also are you at home and know that there is 60lbs pressure?
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 06:34 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Could there possibly be water diverting to your fresh water tank? All of the trailers that I have owned have a separate fill port for the fresh water but I think there are some that fill from the city water port
Old 06-11-2020, 11:03 PM   #7
Site Team

Here are a few things that come to my mind that could possibly cause the problem.
1. A kink in the hose
2. An obstruction in the hose
3. Clogged screen at the city connection
4. An obstruction in the plumbing near where it first enters the trailer
5. A kink in the plumbing near where the water first enters the trailer
6. An obstruction within the regulator if you are using one
7. An inaccurate gauge, and you really don't have 60 psi

I'm sure there are many more possibilities, but those are what first came to my mind.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:11 AM   #8
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaBryan3322 View Post
We are new owners of 07 CR Paradise Point 35 fifth wheel. When I hook up city water with approx 60psi, water pressure in trailer is very low. Checked for debris. Is there a built-in pressure regulator? Where if so? What could explain drop in pressure?
40064__34273.1479923235.jpg
By chance are you using something similar to this?
If so that's most likely the problem. They call these "regulators" when they actually restrict the flow to lower the pressure, they restrict the flow regardless of the pressure. Don't replace it with the same, get an actual adjustable "regulator", it won't restrict the flow or increase the pressure, but does regulate high pressure to it's set point.
Do you have good pressure at all faucets when using the onboard pump? If so it's not a kinked line or a RV problem but a city supply problem.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 11:15 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

all good points above.... At my current camp spot, I've noticed great water pressure on weekdays, but much less on weekends when it gets busy. 2 weeks ago, it was trickling out of the faucets. I've learned to fill my fresh tank during the week, so if the water pressure drops on weekends, I can switch on the pump, and all is well.
The point is, if you are using an unfamiliar source, it may be the source, not anything on your end. If you are at home, or a known source, start the investigation into all the items listed in posts above! Good luck.
Old 06-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I apologize if I seem to be hijacking the thread which is not my intent but the last post was interesting as a new owner. I hadn’t thought about using the fresh water tank to supplement the city water pressure. My question is if I’m hooked to city water and getting say 45psi and then turn on my pump with some freshwater in the tank, will it simply increase the system pressure or is there some sort of check valve to go to the higher pressure source? Just wondering there is any need to shut off the city water intake if using the pump?

So far I’ve been fortunate to be in places where my adjustable pressure regulator at the faucet was the limiting factor and have not experienced low water pressure yet but I know the day will be coming.

Thank you
Old 06-18-2020, 03:12 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

I don't have anything to reference but a memory, but I could have swore I read that when running the water pump the trailers will have 55psi and when hooked into city they run 40psi.

I just can't remember if it was which website I read it on.

Ron
Wyldink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:35 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKCameo View Post
I apologize if I seem to be hijacking the thread which is not my intent but the last post was interesting as a new owner. I hadn’t thought about using the fresh water tank to supplement the city water pressure. My question is if I’m hooked to city water and getting say 45psi and then turn on my pump with some freshwater in the tank, will it simply increase the system pressure or is there some sort of check valve to go to the higher pressure source? Just wondering there is any need to shut off the city water intake if using the pump?

So far I’ve been fortunate to be in places where my adjustable pressure regulator at the faucet was the limiting factor and have not experienced low water pressure yet but I know the day will be coming.

Thank you
If you dont like the pressure on city water, just fill tank,unhook hose from city and use pump.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:29 PM   #13
Seasonal Camper

I can't speak to the inner workings of all this, But what I have been doing when the pressure is weak is turning off the valve at the city water inlet and turning on the pump. After showering, I simply switch the pump off, and turn the valve back on.
I don't know if the pump would do much to increase pressure if you are already at 45 or so, and I haven't tried to run the pump with city water left on.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:46 PM   #14
Gone Traveling

Running the pump while connected to city water WILL NOT increase city water pressure, basically they are 2 separate systems, use one or the other.
If city pressure is low, below 45 psi, turn off the city water, be sure you have adequate water in your tank & run the pump, it's generally set to about 45 psi.

40064__34273.1479923235.jpg
This is not a regulator, it's a restrictor, it restricts the flow to reduce pressure & restricts flow regardless of city pressure.

shopping.jpeg
This IS a regulator!
It will not increase pressures above the faucet pressure, but will regulate it to it's preset pressure which is usually 50-55 psi which is a good safe pressure for RVs.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:26 AM   #15
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinesman View Post
Maybe a filter somewhere needing replacement?
I checked the lines for a pressure regulator and did not see a filter. Any idea where I might look? Can't find much documentation for this RV. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:39 AM   #16
New Camper

I appreciate all your input. You have given me several places to look before I call for professional help (again). Thank you.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:50 AM   #17
Site Team

Do you have good pressure when you use the pump only?
Old 06-19-2020, 06:58 AM   #18
New Camper

Actually have not tried to run tank when disconnected. I think I need to purge the tank first. The meter indicates there is some water in it from when I purchased last summer.
Old 06-19-2020, 07:04 AM   #19
Site Team

One other thing to check - on the fitting where you attach the hose there should be a rubber washer with a wire mesh filter in it. Check that for a obstruction.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:42 AM   #20
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaBryan3322 View Post
I checked the lines for a pressure regulator and did not see a filter. Any idea where I might look? Can't find much documentation for this RV. Thanks for any help.
There will not be a built in regulator on the city water line, you'll have to add it to the faucet end of your hose & if equipped with a filter it should be very obvious.
Just FYI, the fresh water sensor may be somewhat accurate as to how much you have in your tank, but DO NOT put too much faith in the black or grey sensors to be anywhere near accurate & don't spend a lot of time or $$ on products to improve them. In the 6-7 RVs I've owned I've never had one that worked to tell me anything other than it's a pretty red light.

Tags
psi regulator, water pressure