Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2020, 08:25 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Dump valve repair!

After returning home from two weeks vacation I noticed water dripping from the dump pipe. Slowly taking off the cap it poured out about a half gallon of water even though the valves were closed. After closer inspection I noticed the black tank valve wasn’t completely closed by about a half inch and wouldn’t push in any further. I had dumped and cleaned the tanks before we left and added water to slosh around for the ride home. So, after dumping the tank and letting it dry overnight. The next day I removed the black tank valve. Sure enough there was a piece of toilet paper had gotten caught in the valve track. I removed and cleaned the valve. I put everything back and checked it. It leaked at the bottom of the valve. After removing and replacing four times it continued to leak. Sometimes you just have to stop and try again tomorrow. The valve is hard to get lined back up with the two seals (one on each side). So, this morning after an overnight break I carefully re-installed the valve and made sure it was tight. No leaks and valve works perfectly.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:33 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Good job. Perseverance paid off.
Glad you found it after draining the tanks and not before, that could have been a nasty situation.
2011 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7 CTD
4kids2dogs&RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 08:56 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 06-25-2020, 02:41 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

TIP: Is immensely helpful to cut out about 1/2" of pipe in middle, removed old valve, insert new rubber boot at cutout w/ clamps and install new valve; makes it all an easy job.
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:51 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post
TIP: Is immensely helpful to cut out about 1/2" of pipe in middle, removed old valve, insert new rubber boot at cutout w/ clamps and install new valve; makes it all an easy job.

I agree with all of your post---except the word easy.
Should have been---easier. It's been my experience that the dump valves are never just easy. Something always comes up to change that.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 04:32 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Davelevandoskiayahoo.com
same problem

[QUOTE=Papa-T;143102]After returning home from two weeks vacation I noticed water dripping from the dump pipe. Slowly taking off the cap it poured out about a half gallon of water even though the valves were closed. After closer inspection I noticed the black tank valve wasn’t completely closed by about a half inch and wouldn’t push in any further. I had dumped and cleaned the tanks before we left and added water to slosh around for the ride home. So, after dumping the tank and letting it dry overnight. The next day I removed the black tank valve. Sure enough there was a piece of toilet paper had gotten caught in the valve track. I removed and cleaned the valve. I put everything back and checked it. It leaked at the bottom of the valve. After removing and replacing four times it continued to leak. Sometimes you just have to stop and try again tomorrow. The valve is hard to get lined back up with the two seals (one on each side). So, this morning after an overnight break I carefully re-installed the valve and made sure it was tight. No leaks and valve works perfectly.[/QUOTES
HAd same problem . Bought a gate valve that twists on waste tube.this allows me to attach hose before opening tank balves
Old 06-25-2020, 04:46 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryH View Post

Valterra makes a valve that twists on, at the end of the existing dump valve. About 25 years ago, I got a handful (and more) of "undesirable flow", so every RV I've owned since then had an extra gate valve as insurance.

Full Time 12 Years
First RV in 1980

Semper Fi 63-69
hollardawg45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:50 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Send a message via MSN to KECoats
Messes

[QUOTE=Davelevandoskiayahoo.com;143244]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
After returning home from two weeks vacation I noticed water dripping from the dump pipe. Slowly taking off the cap it poured out about a half gallon of water even though the valves were closed. After closer inspection I noticed the black tank valve wasn’t completely closed by about a half inch and wouldn’t push in any further. I had dumped and cleaned the tanks before we left and added water to slosh around for the ride home. So, after dumping the tank and letting it dry overnight. The next day I removed the black tank valve. Sure enough there was a piece of toilet paper had gotten caught in the valve track. I removed and cleaned the valve. I put everything back and checked it. It leaked at the bottom of the valve. After removing and replacing four times it continued to leak. Sometimes you just have to stop and try again tomorrow. The valve is hard to get lined back up with the two seals (one on each side). So, this morning after an overnight break I carefully re-installed the valve and made sure it was tight. No leaks and valve works perfectly.[/QUOTES
HAd same problem . Bought a gate valve that twists on waste tube.this allows me to attach hose before opening tank balves
I did the same. Also lubed my gate valve when had to take it apart originally.
KECoats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 06:34 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

Great job! On my Z-1, the black valve was getting so difficult I was afraid I was going to break the handle. Both opening and closing. Because the gray and black come together at the outlet tee, I did both while I was down there! Glad to have it done! Depending on the access and location, this can be a DIY job. Note to all: Do it before the black valve handle breaks, and the black tank is not empty!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:45 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyinSC View Post
Note to all: Do it before the black valve handle breaks, and the black tank is not empty!
Now that would just plan suck! Had a clog up one time, thought it was empty. My white shoes found out different. Ah good times.