Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
New Camper

How long can you comfortably go with an electric-only site? We're new to RVing. We're looking at either the ST29SS or ST31BH. They both have a 40 gallon fresh water, grey water and black water tank.

Thanks!
Camp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

All depends on how much you want to conserve water. The black tank can easily last 2 weeks. If you don't have dual grey tanks and/or can't discharge grey water onto the ground, then one strategy is to dump some of the grey water like used dish water down the toilet. Of course, use the water shutoff at the shower. Capture the cold water at the beginning of a shower in a bucket and use it later for other uses, water for pets or plants, cleaning the windshield, etc. Generally, fresh water taps are available nearby, so carry a 4-6 gal water jug to refill the fresh water tank. One trip per day should keep the tank from going empty.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:37 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Our family, (me, DW, 1 or 2 daughters and a grandson) can last about 5 days at the lake but we use the park showers and bathroom facilities except in the middle of the night.

If you want to only use the camper for toilet and showers, you may make it 2 or 3 days at most.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
Site Team

Most campgrounds have toilets, whether they are flush or pit, if you can use them instead of the camper toilet, that could make a big difference on how long you could set there.
What Larry said pretty much covers the rest of it.
In the fall we sit in a NF campground for about a month. No water, sewer, or electric. I carry about 27 gals. extra water in jugs. We have never run out. There is a hand pump there which I get water from for dishes.

Lloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

Our family (usually me, hubby, daughter, 3 grandkids) can last 2 weeks with the black tank. We try use the park restrooms during the day when we are out and about, but we are not strict about it.

The gray water fills much faster. We use the outside shower after swimming (I have build a shower surround out of pvc pipe and we do "swimsuit showers").

We still end up having to dump the gray water after 4 or 5 days. We use one of the tank on wheels things.

3 Sons, 2 Daughters-in-Law

1 Daughter, 1 Son-in-Law

1 Grandson, 2 Grandaughters

2012 Sunset Trail 26BH
4AggiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:45 PM   #6
New Camper

Thanks! We're doing a 4-night trip in July. It sounds like we should be okay with black water as long as we're careful, but may have to dump the grey water.
Camp77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:21 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

The State Park at the lake we go to is elecric only, but they do have several waterspicots around the park. We have 150' of flat hoses that I use to refil the water tank if needed. A lot of times we use the outside shower to wash ourselves off after a day of swimming to keep from filling the tank for the bath area. The water tank will last about 4 days. The only problem we have is the gray tank for the kitchen sink will fill in about 4 days. We do use a protable gray tank.

2009 CT31RL

2016 Chevrolet 2500HD High Country

Hensley Hitch
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:49 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Paper plates, cups.....when I travel alone, I wash one coffee cup, glass, fork and knife....use the bathrooms in the camp, can go awhile on the tanks befor emptying.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote