Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

We just finished a great weekend of camping and while we were disconnecting from the 30 amp power source we discovered the plug to be extremely hot. After further investigation we noticed one prong on the male plug was very hot, it was discolored with both a copper tone and black soot, in addition the black rubber insulation around the prong had started to melt due to the high temperature and assumed arching. This was the 8th time this year we camped at the very same lot number plugged into the same power box and never had a problem before. Now the real question is do I have a problem on the RV side or is the campground connector bad? Also, at the time we had both the AC and the hot water heater on, which isn't different from any other time in past, maybe we shouldn't run both at the same time. Anyone have any thoughts on the possible cause? And, most importantly, do I now need to replace the power cord to the RV?

We have a 2011 Crossroads Slingshot 21FD. Any help would be appreciated.
gregoja11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

I would suggest that you at least be ready with a replacement plug on hand. The problem can be caused by either the post recepticle or the plud but most likely a combination of the 2. The plug and recepticle prongs are built with a bit of spring to them (more so on the recepticle than the plug). The more times they are plugged and unplugged the more they tend to collapse and then they make less than positive contact. This causes arcing and heat generation and starts a downward spiral, more arcing and more heat = more damage that makes more arcing...
After plugging in and running for about 1/2 to 1 hour you should check the plug for heat and correct if required. You should at least clean the plug with a fine sand paper and, if possible, lightly spread the prong if it is capable.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
hhh
Seasonal Camper

It most likely was the campgrounds power plug. The 30 amp plugs get used the most and over time the contacts become loose. Since the prongs coming out of the plug are just solid and the contacts inside the pedestal plug are spring loaded, most likely they just lost their "spring". I would suggest getting a new 30 amp plug, cut yours off and replace it. What I always did when I had my 30 amp rig was to get a 50 amp adaptor and always used the 50 amp plug if available. They are used much less often so tend to be in better shape.

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Just put a new plug on, about 15 bucks at CW, a guy should carry an extra. The springs in the recepticle weren't working. If you don't make good connection with a fried plug it will just continue to arc and get worse.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote